NEX-6 (and bird idneitification?)

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

NEX-6 (and bird idneitification?)

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Only just in the upper hundred of shots on the NEX=6. Finding that the noise levels at high ISO are not as good as the A7R or indeed the A580, and could even be stronger than the RX10/100 under many conditions - also that the Tamron 18-200mm has very unreliable focusing accuracy on the 6. However, using it a fair amount, walk today through wrong parts of Cochin island/lagoon areas (lots of walking to see very little) - but did catch this very young mangrove and what is I think a sandpiper.
cochinsandpiper-web.jpg
cochinsandpiper-web.jpg (360.52 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Not sure. Shot at 290mm on the Tamron, 1/320th at f/11, in fact two frames have been combined here as one was missing some of the top of the 'bonsai' mangrove and the one with more top had the bird moved an inch forward - despite one at 500 and one at 400, a quick merge in Photoshop was perfect.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: NEX-6 (and bird idneitification?)

Unread post by pakodominguez »

looks like a jacana...

about noise level: in a previous discussion Agorabasta shown that the NEX7 has less noise than the NEX6, against all the fake trues on the internet.

A7(R) (and I guess the S also) benefit from the new Bionz processor, and that makes a difference. in other hand, I have the impression that Sony changed their approach on imaging since the A99, that have a "film feel" that the NEX7 doesn't have, but the A7R does.

Regards

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: NEX-6 (and bird idneitification?)

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I would say it’s a Sandpiper for sure David, the big problem with those waders is the huge range of small variations in a similar theme, I usually give up with them I just can’t see how any shorebird watcher can tell one from another at a glance.
Well ok you could tell the difference between the smallest of the 85 or so species and the largest and say the small one might be a this or that and a big one might be one of these or it could be a such and such providing you could get a good look at the eyes, beak, legs and feet but then you could run across the juvenile plumage of one that might look like the adult plumage of another and then there is the breeding plumage too.
You have to be a really dedicated birder I reckon to persevere with those. I knew someone who just called em all Snipe, it didn’t matter which ones they really were they were all Snipes too him, he might be onto something with that idea maybe.
Out of this list I would tend to pick the Wood Sandpiper as being similar to the one in the photo maybe. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdgui ... ipers.aspx
Greg