RX100M3 announcement next Thursday (May 15) per SAR (SR4)

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

RX100M3 announcement next Thursday (May 15) per SAR (SR4)

Unread post by alphaomega »

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ft4-rx10 ... ay-may-15/
Perhaps the time has come to start a separate thread on this potential 15 May announcement of a significant change to the RX100 concept.
As is known now, the main changes from the RX100II relates to a changed lens from 28-100 F1.8-4.9 to 24-70 F1.8-2.8 and built in EVF. SAR reveales the main specification as
20MP sensor (same as RX100M2 model)
ISO 125-25600
24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 lens
Built in View finder (SVGA OLED Tru-Finder 1440k dots)
Tiltable screen (180 degrees up)
Record in XAVC S format (Same format of the Sony A7s but with no 4K output option).
Almost same size and weight as the current RX100/M2 models.
I have been told all other specs are the same of the current RX100II model.
Based on rumoured likely price range of EUR 800-850 and same in $ this camera could cost in excess of £700 starting price here in UK.
For me, this is a desirable camera because I miss an EVF on my RX100 and the wider 24mm would suit me. The trade-off of the 70mm constraint is acceptable. The image quality will also improve as will higher ISO performance.
I am a buyer, but the issue is when. If the price turns out to be "crazy" it will be when a noticable price reduction is offered by Sony and/or the retailers. I am continuously impressed by the image quality that 1" sensor delivers though that nifty retractable Zeiss designed lens. Apart from image quality I was surprised that using the camera to photograph moving trams not a single image was out of focus. Not a camera for sport or bird photography, but it can track and be spot on for focus.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: RX100M3 announcement next Thursday (May 15) per SAR (SR4

Unread post by alphaomega »

This should really have been posted on "Digital non-DSLR". I had even started a thread over there. Don't know how to move it. Sorry about that lapse of concentration.