On-Board Flash Diffuser

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

On-Board Flash Diffuser

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

A do it yourself flash diffuser.
If you have a transparent (translucent :lol: ) film can, marker and a cutter, than this will cost you nothing.

1- Take the film can
DSC08535.jpg
(38.43 KiB) Downloaded 5555 times
2- Take the dimensions of your on board flash (width and height), mention it with a marker on the film can and cut it sliding carefully.
Important notices: do not cut the edge of the can, begin from the inner side. And be careful not to harm yourself.
DSC08533.jpg
(93.22 KiB) Downloaded 5555 times
3- Gently slide it on the onboard flash (you surely don't want to break it)
DSC08536.jpg
(45.55 KiB) Downloaded 5555 times
DSC08537.jpg
(41.72 KiB) Downloaded 5555 times
Enjoy. :D

P.S.: You may want to shoot in RAW to fix a bit the temperature and tint.

BTW, all shots with a700 + 30/2.8 Macro + HVL-MT24AM :mrgreen:

I would love to hear of your successes.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mvanrheenen

Re: On-Board Flash Diffuser

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Great DIY solution, Doctor! :D

I tried using some thin paper and some shamefull origami skills to get some diffusion for the on-board flash of my a580. Suffice to say, it didn't really do the job :-)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great idea Doc and a very nicely illustrated set of instructions. Just not sure what these film canisters are that you're using ;) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Usually Fuji films were in such "translucent" cans.

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Excellent idea. Now maybe if the black cans turn out to be transparent to infra-red we also have a flash trigger!

Seriously - just wrap some unexposed, processed slide film inside the can and that will convert it to an IR trigger, but you still need a programmable or digital-savvy slave flash cell (or studio flash like the Elinchrom D-Lite 2/4 IT)

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Wow!
Where did you find the film can?
8)

Enjoy!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

pakodominguez wrote:Wow!
I think it is safe to assume that you are joking - especially since you work at Adorama.

However . . . if you actually want one of the Fuji film canisters for a project like this, I have some empties that I can spare, plus some that contain unexposed film and cannot spare - yet. I've found these to be handy storage containers for small items, and have been using them for that purpose for years.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Dr. Harout

UrsaMajor wrote:
I think it is safe to assume that you are joking - especially since you work at Adorama.

However . . . if you actually want one of the Fuji film canisters for a project like this, I have some empties that I can spare, plus some that contain unexposed film and cannot spare - yet. I've found these to be handy storage containers for small items, and have been using them for that purpose for years.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
And that's the way I found my film can. :idea:

Flickr
Mr_Alpha_2011
Initiate

Unread post by Mr_Alpha_2011 »

coffee filter works well too :lol:
Sony A77, SAL2470Z, KM 20-210 F4, KM 50 F1.4, KM Flash 5200i, HVL-F42AM
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

UrsaMajor wrote:

With best wishes,
- Tom -
;-)
I start working in photolabs back in 1988, at that time we didn't know what to do with thousands of plastic film's cans... Now: try to find one! (AdoramaPix became 100% digital 5 years ago) I have my own collection of canisters, transparent and black, just in case one day I'll need them.

Back on subject, I always found that a diffuser on a flash is a "lazy" solution (but better than nothing) and I have a lot of respect for a guy like Gary Fong, specially his business model, but I'll never recommend one of his diffusers.

Regards.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

My 2 year old handed me one the other day. Of course, I'd been storing computer screws and small parts in all of them for years, so it was a bit to scratched and dirty to use. Maybe I can find one laying around unused. Mosly, it's the black ones that are unused, since I can't see contents from the outside, I didn't use them for storage.

Dusty
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I used to have so many Kodachrome metal film cans, grey plastic Kodak film cans, and translucent (correct usage of the term, I think :) ) plastic Fuji film cans, but a few years ago I finally threw most of them out. Can't keep carrying stuff around forever. I think I might still have a couple of the metal cans somewhere and a few of the plastic ones. Also, I still have some old unused Fuji and Kodak film in the freezer.