Do you use Photoshop/Lightroom Smart Objects?

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Do you use Photoshop/Lightroom Smart Objects?

Unread post by bakubo »

Smart Objects in Photoshop and Lightroom are a dream feature. If you don't know what they are then I suggest you do as I did and spend 3-5 minutes reading about them. For a long time I had heard the name, but didn't know what they were and never bothered to check.

In Lightroom you can send a photo to Photoshop (many people know how to do this) or you can select the option to send it to Photoshop as a Smart Object. Within Photoshop you can do stuff as usual and even send the photo to a plug-in such as Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, etc. And all the time the non-destructive editing ability is maintained both in Photoshop and in Lightroom after you return. Even the plug-in stuff is basically non-destructive and you can go back and make adjustments again. Very cool! Currently if you make local adjustments in Photoshop then the Smart Object will get demoted to a normal baked-in file though. Local adjustments in Lightroom, of course, are still non-destructive.

I have played with Smart Objects with Lightroom/Photoshop/Denoise AI/Sharpen AI and it is very impressive. For my own case though I reluctantly don't use them because for me there is a tremendous downside. I know from reading this forum though that for many people that is not a downside for them. So, are people making use of this fantastic feature?
dewarp
Oligarch

Re: Do you use Photoshop/Lightroom Smart Objects?

Unread post by dewarp »

I use CS6. A lot!. I rarely use smart objects because of the limitations. These days I retain most layers from start to finish of editing. (This usually means saving as a psb file because of the size.) If I need to change something that I did early on (happens often) I go back and redo the layers again. Finally I export a flat tiff file back into LR. After I am pretty sure that I will not need to psb file anymore, I trash it.

regards - Peter
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Using smart object going from Lightroom to Photoshop to a plug-in and then back to Lightroom and maintaining the non-destructive editing ability all the way is really cool, but the price you have to pay for that is too high for me.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Photoshop CS6 is rather ancient. It came out in May 2012. I am using the current versions of Lightroom and Photoshop. It is possible, even very likely, that smart objects have been improved in the last 9+ years. Particularly the integration between Lightroom and Photoshop.
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

I'm pretty sure that smart objects improved in later versions of PS/LR. However, I do not know much about Adobe products since they stopped selling perpetual licenses.

regards - Peter
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

This just arrived in my in-tray. I haven't actually looked at it yet, but it may be of interest to you.

https://f64academy.com/smart-objects-do ... 9062d40ab8

regards - Peter