A700 printing large

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
braeside
Grand Caliph

A700 printing large

Unread post by braeside »

I hardly print anything here, mainly because I don't have any place to hang prints and I don't enter photo club print competitions. Normally my photos are viewed on the 24" iMac Screen and look pretty nice, but I often wonder what they would be like printed out larger than the little A4 Epson Claria ink printer does.

I managed to get an old HP Designjet 120nr printer for next to nothing (it was faulty, but repairable) and changed it to the much better 130 ink carts which give prints that don't fade in a few months unlike the original 120 carts. Previously I had only put a few sheets of A3 though the printer to get the ink flowing, however I now have an A1 roll of paper and thought I would try a photo a little larger, not 36" X 24" yet, but 22" x 14" just as an experiment. I am knocked out by the quality printing directly from Aperture, with the A700 files. I think the one time I tried this in the past I was using the A100 and the results were not nearly as good, though that could have been operator error :oops:

Now my only problem is what to do with such large prints, I can't afford to frame them, and they are going to curl up if I leave them lying around. The paper is a HP Premium Plus Photo Matte and is rather heavy. Is there an economic way of mounting this kind of paper on card or board?
David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A700 printing large

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You should be able to obtain standard exhibition mount board, including boards with a self-adhesive layer, readily enough - try www.theimagingwarehouse.com for the accessories needed to do the mounting, strange thing is they do not seem to stock the mounts! Daler-Rowney Studland board is the industry standard, and you can use various spraymounts: http://www.saa.co.uk/artmaterials/daler ... -1995.html

Most 24" printer users also eventually obtain a 24" cold mounting press (like a mangle) and use cold mounting adhesive.

An alternative, which may or may not be compatible with your system, is the Ilford Galerie Premounted Board in 20x16+ size.

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Thanks David
David
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

If your technique is right then a 14 × 22 inch print will look gorgeous from the six-megapixel Dynax 7D---so don't worry about the print quality the A700 will deliver!

-- Oalf