Aperture 2.1.2

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
TimH
Acolyte

Aperture 2.1.2

Unread post by TimH »

Hello All,
A couple of days ago I did the Apple software update to my Mac Book Pro. Included in that software update was an update to Aperture 2, which mainly upgraded RAW support for lots of new cameras plus the usual bug fixing stuff and better printing support.

I use Aperture mainly because I could buy it from Apple on a educational discount of £55 - a pretty good price. I generally like using it but wish it would process metadata like Lightroom, among other things.

Anyway, I noticed a funny thing going on with some of my older photos in my Aperture project after I upgraded Aperture. When I click on a photo Aperture takes about 1.5 secs to generate a preview from the RAW file. So when I go from thumbnail to full preview there is some work going on in the background. All normal. But now I can see a 'normal' looking thumbnail and when I click on it I get the full preview that is MASSIVELY over exposed, the colours are all destroyed and I can not seem to get the photos to return to normal using the adjustments. I tried to remove all adjustments, change the colour curves, everything and I can't get it to return to normal. I have also deleted a few photos that are affected and tried to reimport them into Aperture, hoping that that might do the trick but have had no luck with that either.

The funny thing is that the newer projects remain fine.

So I have lost patience and am resorting to the fantastic resource that is this forum. Has anyone any ideas that could help my dilemma? Otherwise I am just going to buy Lightroom.

Many thanks!
Tim
Attachments
Picture-6.jpg
Picture-5.jpg
braeside
Grand Caliph

Re: Aperture 2.1.2

Unread post by braeside »

Tim, the problem was caused by a recent update to Digital Camera RAW Compatibility 2.2.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2355

Quote:

Symptoms
cRAW format images from the Sony DSLR-A700 camera may display pink or white after you install Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.2. Standard RAW images from the DSLR-A700 should not be affected by this issue, only those taken with the cRAW setting.

Products Affected
iPhoto 7.x, Aperture 2.X, Sony DSLR-A700 camera
Resolution
This is a known issue, affecting cRAW images. If you work with cRAW images, follow these instructions to revert to Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.1:

In Finder, navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices and drag the RawCamera.bundle to the Trash. Finder will ask for your administrator password before it moves the file.
Go to /Library/Receipts and drag RAWCameraUpdate.pkg to the Trash.
Download Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.1.
Run the installer.
Restart your computer.
After making this change, cRAW images should display correctly.
David