Online Tutorials?

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Online Tutorials?

Unread post by Dusty »

Are there any good online tutorials for handling digital photos? I'm a recent convert from film, so I'm not used to (non-darkroom) image manipulation.

I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, and although I'm willing to spend time to learn, I'd like to learn from others mistakes and long hours of pioneering work.

For the most part, I'm talking about adjusting exposure, sharpness, cleaning up artifacts and CA, or resizing and resampling. I'm not worried (yet, anyway) about Photoshopping to alter them a bunch.

Thanks,
Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Re: Online Tutorials?

Unread post by bonneville »

Dusty wrote:Are there any good online tutorials for handling digital photos?
Dusty
There are a million on YouTube of varying length, quality and usefulness.

When I took up digital photography a couple of years ago (never been into film at all) I was very hungry to learn and found some really excellent advice in the Gary Friedman ebooks, he has written one to cover all the Sony range of DSLRs. Give him a look here

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

I am very careful to handle them only by the edges after they dry.

Sorry...couldn't help myself...please forgive.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Winston wrote:I am very careful to handle them only by the edges after they dry.

Sorry...couldn't help myself...please forgive.
Good one Winston :lol: :lol: Why didn't I see that :?: Because I've never been into film I suppose.

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
mcddeb
Initiate

Unread post by mcddeb »

I have to 2nd Brian's recommendation of Gary Friedman's ebooks for the alphas. Coming from a film background you already know the basics and then some about exposures/compensations, etc. Gary's books will explain all the features of your alpha and how to best use it. I think you are also asking about manipulating the digital images after capture and for that you will need photoshop or some sort of imaging software. There is a plethora of books and online tutorials on Photoshop, Scott Kelby is really good on teaching Photoshop, maybe more than you want to know, but you might need to learn more than you think you need at this point. the Russell Brown Show offers a lot of good tips: http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, I think you will love digital.

Debra
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Dusty wrote:

Are there any good online tutorials for handling digital photos? I'm a recent convert from film, so I'm not used to (non-darkroom) image manipulation.

I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, and although I'm willing to spend time to learn, I'd like to learn from others mistakes and long hours of pioneering work.

For the most part, I'm talking about adjusting exposure, sharpness, cleaning up artifacts and CA, or resizing and resampling. I'm not worried (yet, anyway) about Photoshopping to alter them a bunch.
Personally, I have found the "White Papers" from Digital Light and Color to be very educational. I happen to have used their image editor (Picture Window Pro) for the last 8-10 years, which makes the information more directly applicable than if using another editor. However, IMO about 98% of the content of the various "white papers" is not specific to any one image editor, and I feel that they provide a nice overview of the process of editing digital images, regardless of whether you are using Picture Window Pro, Photoshop, or some other editor.

FWIW, if you are looking for a good image editor without paying the kind of money that is asked for Photoshop, I suggest that you look at Picture Window Pro. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for 30 days to determine whether or not it meets your needs, and it is completely uncrippled during that time. After 30 days you will need to purchase it to continue to use the program. They also have an excellent and very responsive online support forum, where the same people who wrote the software - and the white papers - are actually providing the company's support. That forum also has some very competent customers who actively participate in assisting others to figure out how to accomplish what they desire. You can find out more at the DL&C web site at:

http://www.dl-c.com

With best wishes,
- Tom -