Image stacking for more DOF (tilt replacement?)

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Alain
Initiate

Image stacking for more DOF (tilt replacement?)

Unread post by Alain »

Hi

Has anybody experience with software to stack multiple images to get more DOF. This could be an alternative to using a (expencive) tilt lens.

A free example http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZP/News.htm

Alain
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Re: Image stacking for more DOF (tilt replacement?)

Unread post by jcoffin »

Alain wrote:Hi

Has anybody experience with software to stack multiple images to get more DOF. This could be an alternative to using a (expencive) tilt lens.

Alain
I've played with CombineZP a little and it certainly works as advertised. While that can certainly be useful, it's not really the same as a tilt lens. Combining shots allows you to extend the depth of field more or less arbitrarily, but (absent other manipulation like selective blurring) the plane of focus remains parallel to the film plane. A tilt lens allows you to have shallow depth of field with the plane of focus angled to the film plane.
Alain
Initiate

Unread post by Alain »

jcoffin wrote:
Alain wrote:Hi

Alain
I've played with CombineZP a little and it certainly works as advertised. While that can certainly be useful, it's not really the same as a tilt lens. Combining shots allows you to extend the depth of field more or less arbitrarily, but (absent other manipulation like selective blurring) the plane of focus remains parallel to the film plane. A tilt lens allows you to have shallow depth of field with the plane of focus angled to the film plane.
Thanks

I'm fully aware that plane of focus remains parallel to the film plane, it' "just" the DOF part i'm looking for.
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

jcoffin wrote:A tilt lens allows you to have shallow depth of field with the plane of focus angled to the film plane.
Image stacking can do exactly that, too. Of course, with a tilt lens it's easier to accomplish and will also work with moving subjects.

Alain wrote:I'm fully aware that plane of focus remains parallel to the film plane ...
You are!? That's strange, because in an image stack there is no plane of focus.

Anyway, software to manipulate depth-of-field through image stacking sure is helpful but not necessarily required. You can carry out the stacking by hand as well.

-- Olaf
Alain
Initiate

Unread post by Alain »

01af wrote:
jcoffin wrote:A tilt lens allows you to have shallow depth of field with the plane of focus angled to the film plane.
Image stacking can do exactly that, too. Of course, with a tilt lens it's easier to accomplish and will also work with moving subjects.

Alain wrote:I'm fully aware that plane of focus remains parallel to the film plane ...
You are!? That's strange, because in an image stack there is no plane of focus.

Anyway, software to manipulate depth-of-field through image stacking sure is helpful but not necessarily required. You can carry out the stacking by hand as well.

-- Olaf
Olaf

I'm aware that there's a lot possible with an imagestack, even a extremely flexibel focus zone. Much more than with a tilt lens.

But I'm looking for a easy and fast software method to add DOF to photo's.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Alain wrote:
I'm aware that there's a lot possible with an imagestack, even a extremely flexibel focus zone. Much more than with a tilt lens.

But I'm looking for a easy and fast software method to add DOF to photo's.
For that, image stacking works very well.