printing at photolabs

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

printing at photolabs

Unread post by stevecim »

Hi All

I just went down to my local "Teds Camera Store" in Melbourne Australia. I need to print 2 12x18 collages for one of my kids school work, I had a 50 free 6x4 prints card, so why not print up the Christmas pics for the parents.
had 44 6x4 pics to print, those 44 (50) free prints ended up costing me 10 cents each, 5 cents for selecting "auto adjust" and 5 cents for "brightness&contrast" adjustments. Nice thing is you can't get to the brightness controls until you first select first "Auto Adjust". 10 cents a print is still cheapper then any other walk in store here but it still feels shifty. (Also photo that seemed fine on my screen at home looked dark on there self server terminals but my home screen is not calibrated) They also charge 5 cents each for cropping, colour adjust, convert to blacknwhite, etc. :)

just beening curious here. But is this common pratice else where?

Stephen
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: printing at photolabs

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

At Wolf/Ritz I don't pay anything for adjustments and cropping in-store. I've only needed to do it a handful of times, but I had no idea what I was taking for granted!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: printing at photolabs

Unread post by pakodominguez »

stevecim wrote: just beening curious here. But is this common pratice else where?

Stephen
Not for us (adoramapix) The price you pay included the color correction (unless you ask for no corrections). I used to correct about 10000 prints a day (not anymore, I'm doing different stuffs now, not just color correction) but my colleagues do.

About Ritz, we opened 2 positions for color correction and we got a couple of people that used to work there, they can't color correct because their system was 80% automatic, they barely do density correction... The good printers aren't available and the new guys don't even know 100% how to operate the machines... we are loosing a craft :-(

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;