Sony a200 ARW images to RAW in Elements 6 - Help!

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
taxeye
Acolyte

Sony a200 ARW images to RAW in Elements 6 - Help!

Unread post by taxeye »

I shot my first raw images today with my a200. found out arw is not recognized by Elements 6.
So, I loaded up the Sony software Image Data Converter SR 2.0 and it sent the arw image to Elements 6 as a tiff not Photoshop raw.
I'm really new at this and really confused. :?
Is tiff an OK editing image or am I missing something?
I have been shooting fine JPEG and converting to PSD for editing . Is this good enough?
HELP!!
Regards,
Taxeye in Canada
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony a200 ARW images to RAW in Elements 6 - Help!

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Conversion from RAW to TIFF means you get a bigger file but without loosing any detail. JPEG in itself is a compressed form where, compared to RAW, you already have thrown away much detail. As I see it, JPEG should be the final stage of conversion after which you only exhibit your picture. Each step performed by a software (Photoshop, IDC, DXO, whatever) on a JPEG format picture results in slight but definite deterioration (noticeable or not), but not on RAW or TIFF. You can work as much as you like on RAW or TIFF.
Hope I answered your question. :oops:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
taxeye
Acolyte

Unread post by taxeye »

Dr. Harout,
Thank you so much!!! :D
So, converting from Sony ARW to TIFF for Elements 6 is great for editing!
I sort of knew about the JPEG deterioration factor and that's why I would convert from Sony fine JPEG to Photoshop PSD.
I think you're saying that for best results, shoot Sony ARW, convert to TIFF for all editing and then convert from TIFF to JPEG for printing, email, display etc.
It's so nice to be on a site (Photoclubalpha) with such helpful, knowledgable members.
Thanks again, Dr. Harout!
Regards,
Taxeye in Canada
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Glad to be of help. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

"Taxeye" wrote:
> Found out [A200's] ARW is not recognized by Elements 6.

Download and install the latest version of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in (which currently are versions ACR 4.4.1 and ACR 4.5 Beta) from Adobe's website (free of charge); then Photoshop Elements 6.0 will recognize your ARW files. Be sure to read the installation instructions carefully.

Apart from that---when using another raw converter, e. g. Sony IDC, Phase One Capture One, Bibble or whatever, then TIFF is the right choice indeed for transferring the raw converter's output to Photoshop Elements 6.0. You may also choose PSD (if the raw converter supports this format) but you definitely should stay away from JPEG as an intermediate format. After all processing and editing is done, JPEG is fine for storing the final result and for transferring it to the printer, to your customer, to your website, or to whoever the end user of your image may be.

-- Olaf
taxeye
Acolyte

Unread post by taxeye »

Olaf,
Great Info - Thank You So Very Much!! :D
I'll be looking into the Adobe site later today.
Best Regards
Taxeye in Canada