Windows XP update warning WRT Lightroom Catalogues.

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Omega892
Oligarch

Windows XP update warning WRT Lightroom Catalogues.

Unread post by Omega892 »

I had a funny today that caused me some bother.

Applied latest batch of WinXP updates and then ran Lightroom2 whereby it decided that the Catalogue was corrupt. Had a Windblows info balloon pop up on task bar complaining about a data error and suggesting a Chdsk run on a drive.

Now I alternate my backup routine between internal C and an external USB HD (large blighter with oodles of space). It just so happened to be pointing at the external drive right now.

So first thing I did when Windblows complained that it could not run an error check on the said drive was to do a system restart having noted that Windblows had not requested such after the updating had completed, which seems to have become a habit of late.

After the restart all was OK but I had to fish in the Lightroom Backup directory and run the last backup from there to launch Lightroom so that it pointed to the correct Catalogue.

OTOH it could be my external drive becoming unreliable - panic stations.

Time for a yet bigger backup external drive and another to back that up and so on and so on. Computers are such fun! Going back to film and darkrooms I think.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin