Colour Profiles

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Birma
Tower of Babel

Colour Profiles

Unread post by Birma »

Sorry for the long explanation here but I'm confused as to what is going on.

Yesterday I had some shots to process with nice blue skies and green grass (see the Weather thread). The jpgs viewed using the Windows viewer had a faithful representation of the colours (they were still fresh in my memory). On opening the raw files in ACR the colours were not quite right, too warm. I fiddles with the WB settings to no avail. I then tried the Sony raw processor, IDC. THe colours were fine. I saved a tiff and opened this in Elements and the colours were 'wrong' again. I checked that everything was set to use sRGB so this didn't seem to be the problem.

After fiddling with many settings I found in Elements there is an option called 'colour settings'. By setting this to 'no colour management' (rather than optimise for computer screens ) I got the colours as I remembered them in the Elements editor but not in the ACR add-on.

I tried the same image on my laptop. Here the image had the same colours in the Windows viewer, IDC, and in Elements+ACR.

So, it seems that Elements and ACR are interacting with my (Sony) monitor in some way. I seem to be able to work around this by ignoring the colour in ACR but I would like to sort it out. It only seems to be really noticeable in blues and grass greens under bright sunlight.

Any ideas?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Colour Profiles

Unread post by agorabasta »

The colour management in Windows is a blasphemy. Kill it off completely. You may have it enabled in the necessary programmes separately. Or just use sRGB everywhere and keep colour management always off.
You would then need to adjust your monitor with its hardware controls only. And you could also use colour adjustments of the video adapter, especially if it's ATI-based or better.