Storage.

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Storage.

Unread post by Javelin »

on your power adapter issue. usually those power supplies aren't regulated and a lot of the 12v one will put out 20v with no load on them. once there is a load and the load is sized properly it'll give you a nominal 12v. if your reading was 18 volts with it hooked to the unit and it's supposed to be 12 then the unit isn't drawing any current and the fault is likely upstream of the adaptor.

A lot of those boxes are just that empty boxes wth a circuit board and mounting for the hard drives, if you swap the drives over be sure the order the drives are in remains the same. if there are cables in there it may be confused and don't take it for grated that the first drive you see in side correspods exactly with the older unit. I'd just be cautions about confusing the raid array when it starts up and the drive order is out of wack. It shouldn't in theory make a difference but you never know if there is some proprietary things going on in there.

For my stuff I think i'm just going to ditch lightroom. it's already been way more trouble than i'd bargained for.

PS. How in the world did adobe reader reach 34mb in size!?!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Storage.

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Javelin wrote:on your power adapter issue. usually those power supplies aren't regulated and a lot of the 12v one will put out 20v with no load on them. once there is a load and the load is sized properly it'll give you a nominal 12v. if your reading was 18 volts with it hooked to the unit and it's supposed to be 12 then the unit isn't drawing any current and the fault is likely upstream of the adaptor.
I got my new 1TB UltraMax - which is being configured as RAID 1 much though I hate wasting 500GB, and will replace my drive for all current work. Tried its power supply and the 'damaged' drive of course fired up perfectly and worked. So it was the adaptor, not the drive. Stupid of Iomega Europe support, they would have persuaded me to risk losing my data to get a free replacement drive when only a power supply was needed.

I was able to copy the few missing folders around to make sure I have my usual two backups, but found I had done something very stupid and erased 130 finished images taken my my daughter in the USA - along with the raw files, and the iView catalogue, all the captions and keywords. This happened because I was getting tight on disk space and I thought I had copied them to the backup. Now I have had to ask Alamy whether they can send me back the 130 files (fortunately all uploaded in a single session) and .XLS spreadsheet for the metadata, if I send them a suitable USB pendrive. The total data should be well under 2GB. As one of these shots from May just sold for $350, I don't want to lose the ability to file them with other libraries - or my own future on-line collection. But I won't tell Alamy that.

David