Dealing with 2 NEXs and one Alpha ...

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
InTheSky
Viceroy

Dealing with 2 NEXs and one Alpha ...

Unread post by InTheSky »

It is a nightmare today ... 3 days of shooting with the three cameras and trying to import all that stuff on one computer at the same location.

I have always use the USB Mass storage option to transfer my picture and video because of the speed (importing via the Device detected by the OS is too slow ...). But now I'm facing a big trouble ... two to three time replication of the same file name ...

What is your process in that case ?

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
mvanrheenen

Re: Dealing with 2 NEXs and one Alpha ...

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

InTheSky wrote:It is a nightmare today ... 3 days of shooting with the three cameras
That's what you call a nightmare? I see it as a luxury problem: too much money and free time! :-P (just kidding ;))
InTheSky wrote:I have always use the USB Mass storage option to transfer my picture and video because of the speed (importing via the Device detected by the OS is too slow ...). But now I'm facing a big trouble ... two to three time replication of the same file name ...

Regards,

Frank
If I understand correctly, Windows has made 1.jpg, 1(1).jpg and 1(2).jpg? If so, I would use the Command Prompt to delete every double file. Something like this:

del C:\*(1).jpg /F
del C:\*(2).jpg /F

This should delete every double with reasonable performance.

Mark
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

InTheSky wrote:I have always use the USB Mass storage option to transfer my picture and video because of the speed (importing via the Device detected by the OS is too slow ...). But now I'm facing a big trouble ... two to three time replication of the same file name ...

I avoid a duplication of file names by renaming the files before they are transferred from the chip to my computer. I open a DOS command window, change the directory to the folder on the card in which the photos are located, and type a rename *.* command with parameters that identify the camera used. Since my frame counters have passed 9999 and reset to 0000, this also gives me the opportunity to renumber the files to avoid duplication of file names from the same camera.

For example, for files shot with my A700, I type "rename DSC0*.* SA71*.*". This will change a files such as DSC04765.ARW to SA714765.ARW, and will not only identify the file as coming from my A700 but will separate it from an earlier shot from the same camera that is named SA704765.ARW. For images from my KM 7D, I type "rename DSC0*.* M7D1*.*"

After that is done, I just copy the files from the card onto the computer hard drive. I am aware that there are a number of programs that will do such renaming as part of the copy process, but this is an approach with which I am comfortable, and I feel that splitting it into two steps gives me a little more control over renaming and renumbering, and lets me minimize the consequences of a typing error.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

UrsaMajor wrote:

I avoid a duplication of file names by renaming the files before they are transferred from the chip to my computer. I open a DOS command window, change the directory to the folder on the card in which the photos are located, and type a rename *.* command with parameters that identify the camera used. Since my frame counters have passed 9999 and reset to 0000, this also gives me the opportunity to renumber the files to avoid duplication of file names from the same camera.

For example, for files shot with my A700, I type "rename DSC0*.* SA71*.*". This will change a files such as DSC04765.ARW to SA714765.ARW, and will not only identify the file as coming from my A700 but will separate it from an earlier shot from the same camera that is named SA704765.ARW. For images from my KM 7D, I type "rename DSC0*.* M7D1*.*"

After that is done, I just copy the files from the card onto the computer hard drive. I am aware that there are a number of programs that will do such renaming as part of the copy process, but this is an approach with which I am comfortable, and I feel that splitting it into two steps gives me a little more control over renaming and renumbering, and lets me minimize the consequences of a typing error.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Thank you for the advice. So, this is looking that I will need to create something manually (like in the old dos command :-) ).

I don't know why Sony is not looking to create a kind of naming modification system that all the picture can has a specific signature already from different camera. The age of DOS for 8 char for the file name should be gone today ...

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

UrsaMajor wrote:I avoid a duplication of file names by renaming the files before they are transferred from the chip to my computer. I open a DOS command window, change the directory to the folder on the card in which the photos are located, and type a rename *.* command with parameters that identify the camera used. Since my frame counters have passed 9999 and reset to 0000, this also gives me the opportunity to renumber the files to avoid duplication of file names from the same camera.

InTheSky wrote:Thank you for the advice. So, this is looking that I will need to create something manually (like in the old dos command :-) ).

I don't know why Sony is not looking to create a kind of naming modification system that all the picture can has a specific signature already from different camera. The age of DOS for 8 char for the file name should be gone today ...
With most DSLR cameras, the camera serial number is written into the EXIF data, so the camera "signature" is available there with software that can read the EXIF data. I just like to have the camera identified in the file name so all file management software can show me which camera was used.

Also, to emphasize what I wrote above, there is software that will do what I do with a DOS command window. I happen to do it this way because 30 years of working with DOS has made me comfortable with doing it this way. Actually, I use Lightroom to catalog my images, and it has the capability to rename files on import, but I go to the extra work of separate renaming prior to import just because it works for me.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
NevHi
Heirophant

Unread post by NevHi »

I use Kim Henkel's "Ztree" which is under active development. All versions of MS Windows

See here http://ztree.com/

and for the forum http://www.ztw3.com/forum/forum.php
5D, 8000i, XD7
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

Like Tom, I use a DOS batch file to copy from SD card to hard drive. I use a different batch file for each camera, copying each camera's photos into a different folder. That way the duplicate problem doesn't arise *yet*.

I thought it would be a problem in Lightroom, but LR allows duplicate file names as long as they are different files (!) - whether LR uses time code, file size, or whatever, it works. So, you can load up LR from your backup hard drive without changing file names. Of course, you can change them to fit your needs and, in my case, failing memory, but you don't have to.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.