A77, Lightroom and Win XP

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Omega892
Oligarch

A77, Lightroom and Win XP

Unread post by Omega892 »

After a long hiatus I am getting back into imaging now that I have the disabling gout in the right hand under control - crosses finger - oops silly cannot do that and purchasing a A77.

Now up until now Lightroom 2 (don't laugh) has done all I need and upgrades always seem to cause pain. However investigating it seems that things have now moved on to Lightroom 4 which, according to the Adobe web page, requires Vista, Win7 etc.

As I am still running XP even if somehow I can get hold of Lightroom 3 will

a) run on XP

b) have the A77 support required?

I have a fast processor and enough memory for LR4 so should be OK with LR3.

Thanks in advance.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: A77, Lightroom and Win XP

Unread post by pakodominguez »

If you are not planning to upgrade to Win8 any soon, the solution for you is using the Adobe DNG Converter and convert your ARW to DNG...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

LR3 runs ok on xp but I don't know whether it will recognise a77 raw. The Adobe site will tell you. LR4 is miles better but you do need win7.
Eiffel
Initiate

Unread post by Eiffel »

Support for the A77 was added with LR3.5 so you should be good to go.
Proud owner of DK's dearly missed A900 ;-)
Omega892
Oligarch

Thanks pakodominguez but what is Adobe DNG converter, is it a part of Photoshop, I only have Elements 6 or 8 and E8 gave me problems with Lyson CIS inks and printer profiles for my Epson R2880. There is a thread nearby on my experiences.

I have heard that Win8 could give trouble with running my Dimage Scan Elite II which is probably OK with Win7, and I know where to go for a computer with that OS, I have a local guru for building to spec, but money is tight for awhile now.

Thanks also Eiffel but where would I buy LR 3.5 now? I am still on LR2.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Omega892 wrote:Thanks pakodominguez but what is Adobe DNG converter, is it a part of Photoshop, I only have Elements 6 or 8 and E8 gave me problems with Lyson CIS inks and printer profiles for my Epson R2880. There is a thread nearby on my experiences.
it is a free download from the Adobe Labs
Omega892 wrote: Thanks also Eiffel but where would I buy LR 3.5 now? I am still on LR2.
If LR3.5 sup-port the A77, you don't need the DNG converter (and that is really good cuz it is one less step on your workflow)
I can send you the install for LR3, and I guess you can buy the license online from adobe...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omega892
Oligarch

pakodominguez wrote: I can send you the install for LR3, and I guess you can buy the license online from adobe...
Thanks again, but I am not sure how Adobe would react to that as I have just come off an online chat with Adobe support and, having laid out my problem precisely, was offered a download link for a 30 day trial of Lightroom 3 (not sure what sub version that would be) and drew a blank when asking directly about purchasing 3.5 (or later 3.x version). But LR4 and a new computer to run it - oooch!

That is twice Adobe have really bugged me. They would not answer my question as to why Elements 8 insisted on overriding set up Printer profiles, see http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3762, when E6, or E3 did not and produced the results I wanted. I never did get to the bottom of that so uninstalled Elements 8 and decided not to purchase ANY later versions.

Time to look for alternatives to Adobe. Yeah I know, good luck with that. Grrr!
Omega892
Oligarch

I may have found the solution to my Lightroom problem by finding a copy of LR3 at everyone's favourite Internet shopping site. Advertised as Lightroom 3.0 so if the upgrade link in the software plays ball I should be OK. It should do seeing as Lightroom 2 'Check for updates' still offers me one update to my current version of LR2.

Thank you for your help.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

You should be able to update the LR3 to the last 3.X whatever it is.
I find the A77 quite chunky so hopefully you'll adjust to it just fine.
Only problem might be the buttons but I'm happy with mine.

Good to have you back (like the Avatar by the way, I loved the RN Buccs and F4s).

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Omega892 wrote:I may have found the solution to my Lightroom problem by finding a copy of LR3 at everyone's favourite Internet shopping site. Advertised as Lightroom 3.0 so if the upgrade link in the software plays ball I should be OK. It should do seeing as Lightroom 2 'Check for updates' still offers me one update to my current version of LR2.
Hi Lionel

Good to see you back here.

Be very careful when buying second hand copies of Adobe software - e.g. see:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854077

regards - Peter
Omega892
Oligarch

dewarp wrote: Be very careful when buying second hand copies of Adobe software - e.g. see:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854077

regards - Peter
Thanks for the warning but the one I went for was being sold as new, and e-bay not involved BTW.
Omega892
Oligarch

mikeriach wrote: Good to have you back (like the Avatar by the way, I loved the RN Buccs and F4s).

Mike
Thanks (the other redhead was a starlet in a James Bond movie who came on board in 71 whilst Ark was assisting with shooting), some of my pic's from back then (on SRT-101) have appeared in some recent books.
I note we have one member around here, Dusty, from the spiritual home of the F4, St Louis, Missouri.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Omega892 wrote: Thanks (the other redhead was a starlet in a James Bond movie who came on board in 71 whilst Ark was assisting with shooting), some of my pic's from back then (on SRT-101) have appeared in some recent books.
I note we have one member around here, Dusty, from the spiritual home of the F4, St Louis, Missouri.
YEs, I'm just a few miles down the road from the old McDonnel-Douglas Headquarters (Now a branch of Boieng). Many of my friends have been involved with the F4 and F15 over the years. Several years ago, one retired fellow told me he had been called back to work to source the no longer made electronic parts needed for F15 control component manufacturing. He spent the day scouring the internet for them is foreign countries. Seems it's easier to find no longer made old stock and buy it than it is to update it with new components. Mosty, I think, due to re-certification.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

For Dusty.
This was the display crew making a spirited departure from the airshow at Boscombe Down many years ago.

Mike
Attachments
image.jpg
(82.26 KiB) Downloaded 4083 times
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

That is a fabulous shot Mike :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.