LR5 v. LR4 - anyone tried the new version?

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Re: LR5 v. LR4 - anyone tried the new version?

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

bakubo wrote:
bakubo wrote:This update says they are working on some bugs (has a list) for the LR 5 update. Fortunately, it says they are working on the one in particular that I was concerned with:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal ... ssues.html

As mentioned here, a bug was introduced in Lightroom 5.0 where files exported at less than 1/3 of their original size may not retain Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings. We are working on a solution and will include it in our next update.
I upgraded to LR 5 in November. I got the full LR 5 (not update) online for $69 (free shipping, no tax) on Black Friday. Using LR 5.3 now. I haven't noticed any problems. It seems like it is a bit snappier than LR 4.4 for some things, but nothing dramatic.
However, there are two (at least) significant new tools, the radial filter and the vastly improved cloning tool which now does much more than remove dust.
Mike
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

LR 6 out soon wonder what else they can cram in there?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

LR 5.6 was released yesterday:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal ... lable.html

Bug fixes and lots of new Sony lens profiles, including the 18-250mm. I was always surprised that it had never been profiled before. A long time ago I downloaded a very poor profile using the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader that someone created. The distortion correction in that profile was incorrect though. I hope the official one from Adobe is much better. Since I had already downloaded the user created profile I wonder if I need to do anything to use the new profile in 5.6? Will it get used automatically and the old one will disappear or do I need to do something?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have already found a new bug introduced into 5.6. Previously if you have a virtual copy the original will say the filename and the copy will say filename copy. Now in 5.6 both show only the filename.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:I have already found a new bug introduced into 5.6. Previously if you have a virtual copy the original will say the filename and the copy will say filename copy. Now in 5.6 both show only the filename.
I rebooted Windows and restarted LR 5.6 and now everything is okay. I can no longer reproduce this so I am happy.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am using Lightroom 5.6 on Win8-64. My problem is that I spent lots of time adding several text pages with text to the book I am working on. I switched back to Library mode and later came back to the book module. All was okay. I tried changing the size of the book and, again, all was okay. Then I did a Clear Layout and Auto Layout and the text pages all disappeared! The photo pages were still there though. Are my text pages still somewhere in LR or are they gone forever? Why are my photos still there, but the text pages are gone?

Thank you for any help. By the way, I have read this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/c ... k-lr5.html
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I have been using LR4 and Elements 9 until recently. Saw the Adobe CC offer of LR5 and Photoshop CC at £8.57 a month and could not resist. As LR5 is so good I really do little in PS to RAW images other than checking Auto Tone and a little Shadows/Highlight plus contrast. Find removing dust and blemishes easier in PS compared with LR. As stated above, the Auto Distortion Correction function is great. Makes the groundwork for final manual distortion adjustments. The LR4/Elements 9 combination was good enough by and large but the Cloud combination is definitely better and (in my humble opinion) cost effective. Find using Bridge/Camera Raw/PS a better way of operating with Jpegs. A pain that you cannot browse in Bridge and then open in LR5. Using Faststone Image Viewer for RAW because I can open straight into LR5 from this browser and then into PS. Adobe are sleeping here. Why on earth do they not add LR to the opening options in Bridge?
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Another user of the LR/PS CC option.
I do the vast majority of PP in LR but where I have a plague of dust spots etc I will use PS.
One thing I just cant get to grips with in PS is noise reduction.
I just find LR so simple to use and probably, at best, I'm actually only using 20% of what it can do (I'm poorly self taught!!).
I must take some time to look at the demos.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Mikeriach I gave up on noise reduction in PS a long time ago. I use the luminance slider in either Camera Raw or Lightroom to remove luminance noise and recover any loss of sharpness with the sharpness slider also in Camera Raw or Lightroom. Just above the luminance slider. Typically I wll use the scenic setting in Lightroom for RAW and just a little bit if I work on a Jpeg in either programmes.
As far as colour noise is concerned there is also the color noise slider in LR and CR below luminance slider.
I would always use LR or CR for noise reduction.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Agreed, PS is a pain in that department but ACR/LR is a dawdle.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

alphaomega wrote:
Mikeriach I gave up on noise reduction in PS a long time ago. I use the luminance slider in either Camera Raw or Lightroom to remove luminance noise and recover any loss of sharpness with the sharpness slider also in Camera Raw or Lightroom. Just above the luminance slider. Typically I wll use the scenic setting in Lightroom for RAW and just a little bit if I work on a Jpeg in either programmes.
As far as colour noise is concerned there is also the color noise slider in LR and CR below luminance slider.
I would always use LR or CR for noise reduction.
Of course, sharpening and noise reduction go hand in hand, and the LR Mask slider in the sharpening section can be a noise lifesaver. The mask lets you choose what to sharpen based on edges. If you adjust it correctly, the sharpening algorithm does not attempt to sharpen smooth areas. Sharpening these smooth areas creates noise-like artefacts.
Mike
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Has anyone here started using the new Lightroom 6.01? How is it?

This is what Adobe recommends for RAM for LR 6, 5, and 4:

LR 6: 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended)
LR 5: 2GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
LR 4: 2GB of RAM

They are recommending 4gb instead of 8gb now. It isn't common for a new version to use less ram than before. I hope it isn't a typo.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

So far I tried it. It's slow and has too many "bags". I'll wait for update . Something like ver 6.2 or 6.5 :)
Everything in the life unusual!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks for the info! What kind of computer are you using? Windows, Mac? CPU, RAM, etc.?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Henry. I've running LR CC (6) on a 2 year old Mac Mini with 8 Gb RAM. No significant speed difference that I can see between 5 and 6. The move from 4 to 8 Gb produced a significant improvement in the performance of 5. I'd be really surprised if 6 was ok with only 4 Gb.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.