Capture One for Sony

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Capture One for Sony

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

It appears that Sony has negotiated a deal with Capture One to provide a free download of their software, and an upgrade from Capture One to Capture One Pro for $30 (or 30 euros if appropriate for your location).

Since Capture One has a good reputation, and the Pro version normally goes for $300, this should be a very, very attractive deal for anyone who is looking for post-processing software.

With this special deal, both the standard version and the Pro version are sub-titled "for Sony" and coded to work only with Sony files, but that's probably not an issue for most of us. (I understand that you can also upgrade to the unrestricted version of Capture One Pro that works with all supported cameras, but not for a price as attractive as $30.) :-)

The link for the download of the free version is:

http://www.phaseone.com/sony

With best wishes,
- Tom -
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Capture One for Sony

Unread post by sury »

Thank you Tom. I downloaded the Express version of the software (Sony specific) and playing with it.
Interestingly enough I saw other camera files are installed as well. I do not have raw files for other cameras
to test.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have downloaded this as well. Perhaps having spent quite a bit of time on learning DxO it didn't seem that important to have another program to use just in case.
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Thanks a lot for that Tom.

I used to use C1 to good effect in the old MRW days. When I upgraded to the A77 I found that I did not get enough demo time to convince myself to purchase a new version of C1, and ended up going with Lightroom. On a couple of occasions now I have used LR on one of my old MRW files and found that I cannot quite match the good results that I got from C1 so many years ago!

I've downloaded a copy of this Sony version. I don't know that I will find the time to really test this out, but you never know.

regards - Peter
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Thanks for the link Tom. Downloaded it to give it a go...
Comparing to the Pro variant (Capture One Pro), the Express is a downgraded software and many tools/options etc are not present there.
Though not a bad one. Already have found a bug on it: suppose you have a photo with GPS coordinates embedded, after processing it and saving as JPEG file, you still notice that the coordinates are there, but uploading to Flickr you get a blank coordinate...
Tried to find a fix for it, but no success yet.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I'm downloading my copy of capture one as I'm typing this post.