DeHaze filter in LR and PS Cloud

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
alphaomega
Viceroy

DeHaze filter in LR and PS Cloud

Unread post by alphaomega »

Not sure when this filter was added to Adobe PS Cloud RAW and Lightroom Cloud in the Effects area. I pulled out some images from 2010 I struggled with at the time because of - Haze. I attach a before and after picture with the haze removed. Amazing. If you don't know about it and have a version with the filter it is worth remembering that haze can simply be removed with a slider. Magic.
Attachments
_DSC0520.jpg
(310.87 KiB) Downloaded 3437 times
WHI487 Glen torridon copy.jpg
(442.34 KiB) Downloaded 3437 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: DeHaze filter in LR and PS Cloud

Unread post by bakubo »

Interesting. Did you do additional PP? I notice that the colors, especially the sky color, have changed quite a lot.

I am still using LR 5.7 so I don't have this function.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I haven't used it yet but I understand it was in the last update.
It will be good to try on some of my shots from Japan last year which suffered from extreme haze. I did play about a lot with the contrast and saturation but I struggled to keep the colours true.
Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Bakubo
Did you do additional PP? I notice that the colors, especially the sky color, have changed quite a lot.
Simple answer - yes and probably too much for a "real" conversion. The point was simply - try the filter if you have it on hazy images. It works wonders. Any other PP is independent of this amazing effect. My previous attempts prior to 2012 version without the deHaze filter were simply unsatisfactory
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I bought an Olympus E-M10II a few days ago on the first day it was available in Japan so I will need to update my LR 5.7 to the newest version as soon as it supports this new camera. If I get LR CC I will get the dehaze filter. It is in the standalone LR, but with no exposed control to make use of it. There is a way to use it though using your own presets or you can use this free plug-in that accesses the hidden LR dehaze control.

https://cutthruthefog.wordpress.com/lightroom-6-dehaze/

Probably I will get the standalone LR 6 upgrade.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very handy tool I think. It works both ways so you can increase mist/haze as well as remove it. I don't understand why it is at the bottom of the LR Develop module set of sliders. Would make more sense to me if it was toward the top.

Congrats on the new EM10 II, Henry :) . I was just looking at the review on DPR. Seems a good upgrade and a nice piece of kit.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Birma wrote:?..... I don't understand why it is at the bottom of the LR Develop module set of sliders. Would make more sense to me if it was toward the top.
Agreed :D
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Very handy tool I think. It works both ways so you can increase mist/haze as well as remove it. I don't understand why it is at the bottom of the LR Develop module set of sliders. Would make more sense to me if it was toward the top.
I read on someone's blog awhile back that the dehaze filter also works well with old legacy lenses that are somewhat lacking in contrast. Probably just a light touch.
Birma wrote: Congrats on the new EM10 II, Henry :) . I was just looking at the review on DPR. Seems a good upgrade and a nice piece of kit.
Thanks. I thought maybe I would wait for a few months, but the first day it was available here in Japan on 9/4 I was able to wrangle such a fantastic deal that I went ahead and bought it right then and there. Almost surely 6 months from now I would have to actually pay more, not less for one. Same thing happened with my E-M5 in 2012. They had a special promotion when it first came out and I bought one. After that promotion ended the price went higher and stayed at the higher price for almost 2 years. People who skipped it early on hoping to get a better price a few months later were very disappointed to have waited and then had to pay a higher price. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Congrats on the new EM10 II, Henry :) . I was just looking at the review on DPR. Seems a good upgrade and a nice piece of kit.
I wrote a bit about the new camera here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=6746