Bought a Dell U2415 monitor

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Bought a Dell U2415 monitor

Unread post by bakubo »

I have been using various laptops for all my photo work since 2006. Even before 2006 I sometimes used laptops, but back then I would sometimes be in one place for quite awhile so at those times I used desktops. My last desktop was one I bought in 2005. I added a 19" IPS LCD monitor that was well reviewed for photo use and was recommended by lots of people on a photo forum. I also had a DataColor Spyder monitor calibrator. Anyway, I gave the desktop and monitor to my sister in 2006 and have been using only uncalibrated laptops since then since I need to be more mobile. The monitor calibrator is packed away back in the States and I haven't used it since 2005. At the moment I have these 2 laptops:

2012: 17.3" Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 900p -- 1600x900
i7-3630qm (2.4ghz, Turbo Burst 3.4Ghz) quad core
256gb ssd (Win10 Anniversary, LR catalog)
1tb hd (photos and data files)
8gb ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2gb
HDMI and VGA

2016: 13.3" HP Spectre x360 ultrabook -- 1920x1080
i5-6200u (2.3ghz, Turbo Burst 2.8ghz) dual core
256gb ssd (Win10 Anniversary, LR catalog)
8gb ram
HDMI and Mini DisplayPort
4tb USB 3 portable hd (photos and data files)

The Dell screen is not all that great. The HP screen is better. Neither one has been calibrated. But, I have used the Dell to do almost all my photo editing with Lightroom and Photoshop since 2012. Galleries such as India, Nepal, Turkey, etc. were all done using it:

http://www.bakubo.com/Galleries%202/index.html

I have looked at the photos on my website on various computers and tablets over the years and I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that I never found anything untoward as to color, contrast, etc.

Anyway, I know I am getting long winded, but that was background. :lol: For the last 2-3 years I have wanted to buy a bigger, better monitor that I could connect to my laptops. It is an easy, not too expensive thing to do, but with our mobility it is not an easy thing for me. I can't take it with me everywhere and it is just one more possession to weigh me down. :) Well, I finally gave into my desire, did some research, and yesterday got a Dell U2415 1920x1200 IPS 24 inch monitor. Boy, compared to using my laptop screens it sure is nice! Photos look good, nice size, and I am glad to have the 1920x1200 resolution which makes working with Lightroom and Photoshop better.
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Bought a Dell U2415 monitor

Unread post by mikeriach »

Think that's the same model I bought. I'm very happy with it. I use it dual screen with the laptop so I can view the photo folders on the laptop and LR on the monitor.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mikeriach wrote:Think that's the same model I bought. I'm very happy with it. I use it dual screen with the laptop so I can view the photo folders on the laptop and LR on the monitor.
Can you explain how you do that? That would be cool!

I realize that having a fairly big monitor is no big deal to most people. Many even use 27 inch or 32 inch monitors, but for our lifestyle for the last 10+ years it was not something I could do. I sure am enjoying this 24 inch monitor right now though! When we are inside Japan even if we are staying 1-3 months in Sapporo, Tokyo, Okinawa, etc. like we sometimes do then I will probably just ship it to the new, temporary location using takkyubin (the great, inexpensive shipping services in Japan). Probably would cost about 2000 yen.

I decided that this size and the 16:10 aspect ratio 1920x1200 was better for me than the more typical 16:9 aspect ratio 1920x1080 since it gives a bit more real estate in the vertical dimension for using LR and PS. I read and also had some discussion with people at another website before choosing this one. It also depended on what I could easily get here in Japan.

Computer stuff tends to cost quite a bit more here than in the States. And also for computers, tablets, etc. the specs are lower while the price is higher. Anyway, the U2415 cost me about 37,000 yen (about US$325) with free shipping from Amazon Japan, but it sells for US$239 on Amazon U.S. -- same specs though.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Just discovered that it's a U2515.
I have the monitor plugged into the laptop HDMI port.
As far as I can remember I just right click the desktop and pick Display Settings.
I set screen 1 as the laptop and 2 as the monitor.
Might have clicked a few things but I just fiddled till I got what I wanted, I'm by no means an IT guru.

It came with Dell Display Manager

When I open LR I moved it to the monitor and maximised. You can then open any other software/app on the laptop screen.

Not sure if that helps much.

cheers,
Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks for the info. I tried it, but discovered a big downside. If I enable both displays then the resolution for both is limited to the resolution of the laptop display. In other words, when I enable both I get 1600x900 for both displays. Am I missing something? Maybe I just did something wrong? Only using the U2415 I can use 1920x1200 which is its full resolution.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am liking this new 24 inch monitor and working on photos is more of a pleasure using it. The size for me seems to be the sweet spot. Anything larger would be cumbersome for my workspace and more difficult to ship around Japan. It has factory calibration with a custom calibration report in the box. Reports are that the calibration is pretty good and certainly sufficient for me. As I have said, I have been working on photos without monitor calibration since 2006 and usually using not so good laptop screens. Whenever I see the photos on my website on a large variety of computers and tablets of various qualities I have been satisfied that they looked okay.

Here is a good review of the Dell U2415 for anyone who is interested:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2415.htm

The U.S.A. price of $239 seems like a great bargain. Even the $325 I paid is fine with me. I recall that for my first home computer in 1998 (Pentium II 266mhz, 96mb, 5gb hd, Win95) I researched and chose a 17" Iiyama CRT monitor that got good reviews for photos. I paid $750 for that monitor -- which is about $1100 in 2017 dollars.