still avoiding Adobe CC rental

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
the_hefay
Viceroy

still avoiding Adobe CC rental

Unread post by the_hefay »

I recently bought a Panasonic GF7. However it's raw files aren't compatible with LR 5. After digging around a bit, I found that I could buy a digital download upgrade to LR 6 directly from Adobe. It's not the easiest to find, but it's there and only cost me $79. I know some day I'll probably have to start renting the software from Adobe, but it looks like I was able to put that day off a little longer. :)
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Re: still avoiding Adobe CC rental

Unread post by Ossie »

A friend of mine had a similar dilemma having purchased a Sony RX10 MkIII. She decided to go down the route of converting her RAW files to DNG format ( a free download from Adobe) and continue to use LR5
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Doesn't Sony offer Capture One Express for Sony owners for free?

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Well I'm really stuck in the past now.

I'm using LR 4. When I tried to upgrade to LR5 Adobe wouldn't allow it, because I bought Ver 4 whilst living in Australia and tried to upgrade now that I'm back in South Africa. I suppose if I'd continued to argue they may have conceded - but I just got annoyed and decided stuff Adobe.

For Photoshop I continue to use CS2. I have a legal disk copy of CS6 (also bought in Australia!) but found that it was often slower than CS2 and couldn't run many of my actions and plugins. CS6 also seemed to mess up the operation of CS2 at times, possibly something to do with dll's. So when I was forced to replace my laptop's hard drive I took the opportunity and did not reinstall CS6.

I also continue to use Windows 7 64-bit.

So if (when?) I'm forced to upgrade from my A77 I don't know what I'll do. But one thing I won't be doing in joining Adobe's CC Rental!

regards- Peter
the_hefay
Viceroy

Ossie, I was originally planning to use the DNG converter, but as that doubles the number of files I had to keep track of, I opted for LR6.

Sury, yes they do, but the camera I purchased is a Panasonic and so is not compatible with the Sony only version of capture one.

Peter, After reading the first two paragraphs, I expected to see that you were still using Windows XP. :D Like Sury said, if you stay with Sony there's a free version of capture one. I never could get used to it though. And as Ossie said, there's a free DNG converter that Adobe offers and you should be able to edit those files in LR4. You just have to add one more step and then either store twice as many files or delete the raw files once converted to DNG. But I'm with you. I can't stand the rental idea for software. Just let me buy it.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Still on LR5 didn't see any obvious reasons for me to upgrade to 6. I would never subscribe to a software company if I want something I'll buy it thanks very much!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Really the only issue for me was that LR5 doesn't support my new Panasonic. Other than that, LR5 worked fine for me. That being said, one feature of LR6 that I've really gotten used to is the new brush-while-using-the-gradient adjusting tool. I'm not really sure what you call it, but it allows you to use the brush to add or subtract from the gradient adjustment selection; very handy if you don't want a straight line gradient.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have had LR/PS CC for about 1.5 years. I also do not like the software rental model, but I don't have the problem of buying a new camera and not having the right version of LR/PS ACR to use with it anymore. Also, since I signed up there have been quite a few new features added to LR. Some of them I use. So, like most things in life there are trade-off, pros and cons.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I've learnt to live with it, but never spent enough time with the previous Adobe model to have a preference.

I do like the way Lightroom Mobile is evolving and I value the integration with the desktop apps.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:I've learnt to live with it, but never spent enough time with the previous Adobe model to have a preference.

I do like the way Lightroom Mobile is evolving and I value the integration with the desktop apps.
The new Lightroom CC (not the same as Lightroom CC Classic) might be just what you want.