Did anyone buy one??

For active users of the Advanced Photographic System, APS, which Minolta branded as Vectis, including the RD-3000 DSLR
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Did anyone buy one??

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have seen a few on ebay, but I cannot get my head around APS film. I knew the moment it came out, that it was a disaster waiting to happen, with 35mm so dominant at the time.

I stayed well away..

But, just out of mild curiosity, who dipped into the vectis system??
Dr. Harout

Re: Did anyone buy one??

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Not me. :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

Dr. Harout wrote:Not me. :lol:
Nor me. :)
--
Tom
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I did, and even bought the RD3000 digital system with 17mm lens as well. It was not a bad digital camera, years ahead of its time really. I still sell one or two Vectis S-1 battery pack bases every month on eBay, there are enough owners out there for these to continue being in demand.

David
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Never liked the Vectis but will admit to owning a Nikon Pronea 600i with the 24 - 70 mm lens. The camera uses the same basics as the F70 and is definitely capable of producing decent A4 prints with even the basic Nikon 35mm lenses. Well, maybe not with the 24 - 120mm and I have no desire to spend that sort of money to find out.

In my defense I did find it useful with it's 16.9 ratio for shooting junior sport where almost all the players from both teams end up merging at the same spot. It is also light weight and if shooting at a community fair or farmers market then it could be carried easily for long periods. Now I use the KM A200 instead.

Not worth much these days but I do carry it in the car and if it gets stolen then it's no great loss.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I never even understood the concept/geometry of an APS film camera...anyone mind explaining?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

KevinBarrett wrote:I never even understood the concept/geometry of an APS film camera...anyone mind explaining?
APS stands for "Advanced Photo System". The size of the picture is the same as now and underneath the film part was a thin layer of recording tape which at the time of exposure recorded some basic details, such as aperture, speed, ISO, exposure itself, light condition or light metering and so forth.
Briefly: an analog picture with EXIF data recorded as tape.

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I never bought an APS camera. I also never bought a 110 camera. The 110 cameras and format came out in 1972 when I was just getting into photography. I was saving for my first SLR though and didn't get sidetracked. :)

Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 (rangefinder):

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Kodak_P ... tamatic_60

Pentax 110 SLR:

http://www.cameraquest.com/pentx110.htm

APS and 110 were both attempts to sell much less film for the same or higher price as 35mm.
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Oh, I was remembering seeing some P&S film cameras that offered multiple picture formats and I must have gotten confused. It was well before I ever had a real interest in photography.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

KevinBarrett wrote:Oh, I was remembering seeing some P&S film cameras that offered multiple picture formats and I must have gotten confused. It was well before I ever had a real interest in photography.
Yeah, that's APS alright: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm not sure if my experience counts as it was not Konica-Minolta, but I had a P&S APS film camera many years ago. It was produced by Fujifilm, but I can't remember the model. The choice was based on the ease of loading films (after bad experinces threading 35mm film into previous cameras), and the handy storage of the negatives. The Fujifilm was very pocketable, and therefore easy to carry around. I captured many happy memories with it, but the images were not very good if I'm honest. The panorama shaped shots were fun, but just crops rather than really panoramic. My mother still uses the camera as it is very simple to use; easy to load and unload film, and she does not want to enter the digital revolution :-).

As a committed gadget freek I replaced the APS with a Sony when they brought out their early P&S digital, P100 I think it was (I'm also a committed Sony fan-boy, but please don't pass this rumour on :oops: ).
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Birma wrote:I'm also a committed Sony fan-boy, but please don't pass this rumour on :oops: .
It's good to confess. :lol: :lol:

Flickr
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Well, I've got one . Still. With a full complement of lenses. The last time I used it was 5 years ago so the batteries are probably flat by now.... Given that it cannot possibily compete with even the most basic of todays cameras, if you're careful it can still perform well!
Question. What do you do with your current camera's images? Do you print at a size > 11 x 8? If not, the images from a Vectis RD3000 are certainly adequate for the web...
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning