Learning to compose

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Learning to compose

Unread post by sury »

I have mentioned previously about my composing skills or lack thereof, and yes, I have told
that is not entirely true, thank you (JT) all. This is my deliberate attempt at composition, where
in I attempted to visualize and realize that vision. I saw the flower was at an angle and I wanted
get it across the diagonal of the sensor (my vision). The Minolta100mmf2.8 variable magnification allowed me
to do that by adjusting the distance between camera and the subject. I wanted the negative space
to be distributed for a balanced look. Here are some examples awaiting your critique and feedback.

Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Learning to compose

Unread post by jbtaylor »

OK, the symmetry is there. I do find that the composition delivers my eye to the exact center of the image. What is there for me to see?
I probably would have moved back and given some space at the edges which might allow the more interesting parts of the flower to draw some attention.
First impression...
I will say that the lighting is more desirable that previous attempts.
Keep going.
JT
sury

Unread post by sury »

JT,
Interesting perspective. I was trying to make the reddish orange stamen(?) as my focal point.
I used Sony flash on my camera and Adorama flash as remote to light up my focal point.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi, Sury; :)

My two cents on your composition endeavours :

1/ I find the flower to be too-tightly and centrically fitted into the available frame. A little shifting to the right with some dark negative space to the left, above and bottom would ease it for my perception.
2/ All elements of the flower are sharply in focus which is hard on the eyes; maybe shallowing the depth in the distance could lead the eyes more smoothly in a certain element of the flower.
3/ The shot is scientifically correct for use in specimen identification; may not be photographically.

I like the translucency of the flower petals in the 1st frame due to choice of lighting. The second looks a bit more dull and flatter than the first and the 3rd has light-washed flower parts with reduced details due to harsher light, like the stamens and the stigma.

:) I appreciate that you are on a path for better composition and thanks for sharing and reading the response.
Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Thank you for taking time to provide me the feedback. Much appreciated.
Along with the question that JT posed, in terms of eye being drawn to center,
and for what?, your detailed feedback is valuable. Both of you gave me some
points to ponder.

With best regards,
Sury
sury

Unread post by sury »

Based on the feedback I tried to tweak image 25006. I could not reshoot since the flowers have died. So I added a dark background image of large size in Photoshop and copied my image to it.
The first image is the same as the first image in the previous post, except I have added negative space on top and left. (Yildiz)
The second and third images are deemphasizing the front and back respectively to shift the focus from the central point. (JT and Yildiz).

These may not actual reflect the feedback but I am trying to visualize the feedback.

Sury
jbtaylor

I think set two is better. How about you?
sury

Unread post by sury »

JT,
I am not sure. Perhaps as Yildiz rightly put it, the former may be right technically, but is it
evoking the reactions I am expecting from the viewers. Is technicality is always a second priority?
That is what I am pondering....

Sury
jbtaylor

I don't consider my philosophy of composition to be good or bad. I just want to show people something that they cannot see from anyone else.
sury

Unread post by sury »

JT,
Agree. Personal philosophies are like personal opinions. You can never be wrong with them.
That is all what we do.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I agree with the authentic approach view of JBTaylor and believe that's why we feel happier for shooting photos the ways we do. :D
Very young children act this way and they are always happy with all they produce, no matter how challenging for a grown up.
We must break apart all those taught/dictated views that inhibit our expressive natures.

Therefore, be the you that you feel is right, just like when you were kids. :)
Sury, I think it's the sheer strict discipline that you put that lily through by positioning it too tightly in the frames. :) Set it free Mister, like the bird-in-flight resemblance it has..... :D

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz