New Sony lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

New Sony lenses

Unread post by bakubo »

marktuma
Initiate

Re: New Sony lenses

Unread post by marktuma »

I'm confused by that announcement, either it's just wrong (or out of date) or Sony are competing with themselves (e.g. launching a 28-75 for full frame to compete with 28-70??), or I understand this whole camera deal a lot less than I think I do???
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

One among those might be an SSM lens. Darn.
Last edited by KevinBarrett on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Mark, It's not uncommon to extend the range of a lens when updating it, and it may be that the new lens is a G series, CZ or maybe even a wider aperture model than the 28-70.

I really want to know the specs on that monster in the background, though!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Well it looks like I am not going to be able to get upset about not being able to afford any new lenses this year.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Odd stuff indeed...
30mm f2.8 macro, do people want this??

Super Telephoto Lens..no idea..no interest anyway!

50mm f1.8 DT...a crop prime..hmmm, not even 35mm for a 50mm FOV, by all means do a cheap 50mm but FF please..grrrr

55-200, we have one already, maybe a FF one??

28-75mm, tamron??

18-55mm F3.5-5.6, new kit lens, well we need one, but null points for original thinking!
This pretty much confirms what I have thought for a while now, sony don't really understand what folks are looking for lens wise
Last edited by bfitzgerald on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Very disappointing - where is the 24-105/4 G SSM ? - Some other decent f/4 zooms? We don't all need f/2.8 monsters.

DT 50mm - come on!

It makes you wonder if Sony ever read any photography forums to find out what people are asking for.
David
bfitzgerald

I see a need for a "real sony designed" UWA lens.
And not keep doing the tamron re-badge jobs, the latest tamron doesn't look great..it will just have a sony badge on it, and cost more.

Back to the kit lens, yes..boring, but maybe it will be ok, still I am disappointed they could not have done something, like a bit more speed top end..or more tele, or even an 18-70 mk II..updated would be just fine. Snoozeville on that front

The 50mm DT is pure insanity, I could at least see some sense with Nikon's 35mm f1.8..gives you near on 50mm FOV on a crop sensor. I dislike the idea of crop primes anyway, this just drives the nails in the coffin even more! 50mm DT is a dumb idea, it would want to be really cheap to be even worth looking at. Bet it costs £150+!
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Some odd choices, but lets look at the positive sides. People have been crying for telephoto lenses and hey, we get one!

Same for the 50/1.8 - ok, we wanted this fullframe. But if you start photography with an A200 or A300 this gives you cheap (I suppose) access to a prime! I guess Minoltas 50/1.7 will appear soon on eBay. They're good lenses but soft if not stopped down (have one myself).
bfitzgerald

Just about every normal 50mm prime is soft until stopped down!

As for the 1.7, I have been very satisfied with it's performance, not to say the 1.4 isn't better..but still, it was a bargain.
There is a need for an affordable 50mm lens, to buy new, I am not sure a DT one is the solution though. Some would argue a 35mm fast ish prime would be ideal too.
Had sony have followed Nikon with their 35mm crop lens, I would have still given it some stick for being DT, but there is some logic to it..some, with this..there is none.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 28-75mm f/2.8 looks to be the Tamron in a slightly updated mount - the focus and zoom rings are similar, the front element size and curvature look identical, so I think you are just seeing a return of the 28-75mm KM as a low cost alternative to the 24-70mm CZ, no doubt because the promised 24-105mm just could not be made satisfactorily (Nikon and Canon don't have a decent 24-to-over-100 for full frame, and the 24-105mm existing Sony is awful). The 55-200mm is inexplicable since the existing Tamron design is very good indeed and costs little. My guess is that both this and the new 18-55mm will have SSM focus drive, to provide a pair of SSM lenses for the entry level market and thus compete with NikCan. Tamron has never used any kind of SSM type drive, so they may have moved away from Tamron to redesign the 55-200mm.

The 50mm f/1.8 and 30mm macro are both sized to suit a new camera type, and the big G looks like the reissue of the 400mm f/4.5 or a revision of the same. This is clearly a Sony product shot but not yet available on Sony PR servers.

David
bfitzgerald

The SSM thing sounds interesting..

A new camera type? This is the much talked about not seen EVF hybrid machine??
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

bfitzgerald wrote:Odd stuff indeed...
30mm f2.8 macro, do people want this??
I've seen people post that they wanted a 50mm equiv. With 28mm available, I can't say that I've felt a need for 30mm.... Seems odd, but I say wait for pricing and compare to the 28mm.
50mm f1.8 DT...a crop prime..hmmm, not even 35mm for a 50mm FOV, by all means do a cheap 50mm but FF please..grrrr
Seems like a DT version could be made cheaper... a bit less glass at least. I think people have pointed out the 50/1.7 a lot, so perhaps this is Sony's answer. I would imagine that they would expect FF owners to cough up the extra bucks for the 50/1.4. How many FF 50mm lenses do you need? Aren't there a couple of others already?

I know, FF is the future, etc. Not clear that that is the case. Particularly after this lineup. :wink:

Seriously, does it bother you that there are new DT lenses and that crop sensors are going to be around for a while?

I'd be interested to know if a DT 50mm is any smaller than the FF version.

As for the quality of the 50/1.7, as much as I like it, it seems not so good at 1.7. Even at 2.0, the edges are awful. At f4 it looks great, but then that's a far cry from 1.7, where I might like it for low-light reasons...
55-200, we have one already, maybe a FF one??

28-75mm, tamron??

18-55mm F3.5-5.6, new kit lens, well we need one, but null points for original thinking!
This pretty much confirms what I have thought for a while now, sony don't really understand what folks are looking for lens wise
I really don't know what folks are looking for, I suppose, but perhaps this is trying to solidify the amateur end of the line. I think we have to wait for pricing before making any final conclusions...
bfitzgerald

I see little reason in a DT 50mm, why?

Well to save a small bit on optical glass? Why bother at all. They are not exactly big lenses by anybody's thinking

What we should have had is:

50mm f1.7/8 FF at half the price of the f1.4 (at a rough guess)
Fast f1.8-f2 35mm FF lens..at a reasonable cost (you can define this yourself)

Nobody seems to like the 28mm prime, and it's not fast enough for some, it won't do really. The "other" 35mm prime is the G one, with the nasty price to match it too, and evidently it's no great shakes on an optical level either, I cannot say, never touched one.
If you have to stop your 50mm f1.7 down to f4 to get it sharp, you must have a ropey copy..def not the case with mine..I have happily used it at f2.5 and more at times. I have used the Canon f1.4 a fair bit, that isn't exactly sharp wide open..nothing is..

If DK is right about the SSM thing, that is welcomed..about time too. So I can forgive them on the boring "me too" focal lengths, though a nicer update 18-70mm would do just fine, we don't want to be copy cat on everything.

So that is what I am after..I have no problems with inexpensive DT zooms, I do with DT primes.

As for the 30mm macro, it was at times a struggle to wade though all the threads..from users desperate to get their hands on such a lens..really massive demand from all A mount users ;-)
youpii
Heirophant

Unread post by youpii »

Really disappointing. I'm eager to buy some lenses but there's nothing for me in this list.
I'm now seriously thinking of buying a chipped M42 adapter and some M42 primes.