Any news on new Alphas?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
destrianlives
Initiate

Any news on new Alphas?

Unread post by destrianlives »

Anyone have any news on when Sony will announce new Alphas? Is there really an Alpha A1000 in the works?
Check out my free lighting articles at http://www.studiolighting.net and search for "David Griffin" or The Prince of Cheap
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Probably no a1000

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Sony's oldest body is the a700, which is still reasonably competitive and selling strong. We might see a replacement there by the end of the year, but I wouldn't expect it before the end of summer.

Their entry-level cameras (a200-300) are falling behind in megapixels and features. Common sens suggest that they'll introduce a feature-packed entry-level model (or two) to keep from losing sales to Canon's 500D and Nikon's D5000.

To suggest names and specs though is fruitless. Guess what you will, but if Sony will introduce it this year, its specs and features are likely set in stone already.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Any news on new Alphas?

Unread post by alphaomega »

There has been a lot of rumours surfacing about a new Sony A500/A800 over the last few months and also a Nikon with a new 15Mp+ Sony sensor. Noting of substance has materialised as yet. I dared to suggest that Panasonic have done well with their new 12 Mp sensor in their G1 in my post entitled Panasonic G1 sensor v. D300 & D3, but was "shot down" because I quoted UK Amateur Photographer and that was the end of the discussion.
I actually think personally that Sony have a lot to think about with regard to their next line of DSLR sensors. Apart from the performance of the latest Panasonic sensors in LX3 and G1 cameras, there is now a new sensor out by Fujifilm in their new FinePix F200EXR. I have just seen a comparison with Panasonic's LX3 and the Fuji wins on image quality whereas the LX3 is more fullly featured. The Magazine (Digital Photo) states that "The (Fujifilm) sensor sets a new benchmark in image quality". The sensor is 12 Mp and switchable between high resolution at 12 Mp or high sensitivity & low noise at 6 Mp or wide dynamic range at nominally 6 Mp but using the same idea as in the S5 PRO DSLR of an equal set of large and small photo cells to provide the extended dynamic range. Just imagine such a sensor rated at 24 Mp at high resolution and providing the S5 Pro's high dynamic range at 2 x 12 Mp large/small photo cells. Now that would be something, but Fujifilm appear to be out of the DSLR race now.
The reason why I mention these developments is that I no longer believe that Sony can compete effectively if they do not come out with a new APS-C size sensor that is larger (more pixels), better able to cope with higher ISO settings without unacceptable noise levels and possibly has a wider dynamic range. It will indeed be interesting to see what surfaces eventually.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I doubt the next A200 will be "feature packed" unless sony decide to have a change of heart..esp when you consider how many small bits they chopped out from the previous models. I fully expect a few more mega pixels though, in honesty a few more isn't going to show much improvement, a low noise sensor would though.

A200 is firmly in the really cheap price range, I suspect sony will not want to put too much in there. As yet we don't know about their stance on LV and video, frankly I don't care much either, though LV could have some use..
The A300-350 might be interesting, maybe they will do something like the new Nikon with the swivel lcd.

This is why digital get's so tiresome at times, it's already outdated when you unpack the camera ;-)
KevinBarrett

bfitzgerald wrote:This is why digital get's so tiresome at times, it's already outdated when you unpack the camera ;-)
:mrgreen: a700 ownership has been quite different from this model. Thanks Sony!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

To be honest Kevin, I would be wary of buying any camera anymore without micro AF adjustments. In some ways I should have just stumped up the extra cash and got the A700, but the reports of AF issues scare me to death.

What I was really looking for is the not out yet A500, this has some of the features of the A700, minus a few things (mag alloy, 5fps etc etc). That would have been ideal. I never really understood why sony did not make such a model, and we got 2 LV ones, identical bar sensor.

That new Nikon D5000 looks like a below D90 above D60 model, I don't expect to start seeing it for sale for £260 anytime soon.

I would also add, if sony don't address some of the issue on the other alpha bodies with a firmware update, I will take a very dim view of that. Having too much fun with my film cameras, to worry about new models anymore ;-)
destrianlives
Initiate

Unread post by destrianlives »

I'll just take a noise free A700 with wi-fi!
Check out my free lighting articles at http://www.studiolighting.net and search for "David Griffin" or The Prince of Cheap
Javelin

You will need NO other lens

Unread post by Javelin »

http://www.photohobby.net/webboard/deta ... icid=13406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout

Re: You will need NO other lens

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Javelin, where did you find that? wow, I fell back on my seat.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

hah.. it was posted to DPR earlier. it's got to be a hoax though so don't sell the car or anything... Personnly I would buy it .. it doesn;t have a shift function :)
KevinBarrett

Re: You will need NO other lens

LOL! Where's the cinnabar?

Their lens-element diagram doesn't match their lens, and it weighs less than an 80-200/2.8.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi all,

I know there'll be upgrades and improvements of sorts to camera models but just so that I hear a word of confirmation; Will there really be an improved A700-like camera model coming really soon because I feel troubled about purchasing one now or regretting not waiting for the new model arrivals?

I waited patiently this long, so how much longer within this year?

Thanks

Yildiz
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Found this link on Dyxum through a circuitus route: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic45973_post498044.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If this is anything to go by there will be An A330 as well as A800 and A1000 this year. I would expect the A330 to be the new "beginners" camera and the A800 to replace the venerable A700. The A1000 would almost certainly be a FF variant. Cannot see it having a smaller sensor than the A900 or it would have a lower number. The A800 must be a APS-C sized camera with a larger sensor (pixels) and maybe video or the whole thing is just a rumour. I tend to think there is some "fire" here feeding the "smoke".
KevinBarrett

Funny. When I shared this on Sony's Backstage 101, half the forums went into lock-down and I can't view any recent threads.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I've done some screen shots and put up a front page post:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/05/0 ... ure-model/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's almost certain that the lenses will be launched with the camera, will be very low in cost and have no mechanical drive coupling (that is, the body have no mechanical drive). I think it is also possible that if video has been added, changes will have been made to the SSS system. Right now, the best sensor stabilisation for video use would be the Pentax system which is virtually silent.

David