A380 330 230 details on Sony sites

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Howard
Acolyte

A380 330 230 details on Sony sites

Unread post by Howard »

Dyxum forums have picked up on details of the new cameras at the Danish and Dutch Sony Style sites.

Dyxum discussion at http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a380-is-her ... 46556.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Direct links A330 A380

Get the 230 link at Dyxum - too many URLs for one post!

You can click around to view kit options, etc.
fastson
Heirophant

Re: A380 330 230 details on Sony sites

Unread post by fastson »

Nice, thanks Howard.

I hope there is a nice boost in ISO performance on the A380. Then I'd possibly be interested in replacing my A100 with it.
Flickr - Sony A100, Sony A700 - SAL50F14, SAL16105, SAL1870, Minolta 35-70 F4, Minolta 70-210 F4, Tamron 90 F2.8 Macro
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Hmm well new battery, sure to have less power than the current one (looks like the HX-1 battery), probably saving on weight. Smaller..did I see 3fps for the A380..
Nothing new here really..
Bit silly to change the battery though..not the smartest thing in the world.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

At this stage it looks like the new models are, whats known in the car industry, has a refresh. Just enough changes to get another 12 month worth of sales.
makes some sense, when sales are down and money is tight better to introduce models at the low end and higher end models 8-14 months time when things pick up.
If these models sell for less than the current a200,a3xx models, then that leaves Sony room to introduce new models between the a380 and a700.
and lots of room between the a700 and a900.

Where sony needs to spend money is marketing and sales, Cameras are not Sonys biggest problems it's the people selling and reviewing them.
I spend a lot of time in camera stores listening to salesmen sell cameras and even in a unnamed store which sells more Sony cameras than any other store in Australia. The sales staff will only sell Sony Alpha's to customers that ask for a Sony. If a customer comes asking for a DSLR and has no idea what to buy
only Canona and nikons are shown. if they ask about Sony, the salesman aways respond with, Can/nik take better high ISO shots which is important when taking shots of your kids birthday party and when they are playing sports (Australia is sports mad) , Can/Nik have a better range of affordable lenses, cheaper flashes. lately, they add that Nik/can also take video so you don't need a camcorder and they always finish with "and the pros use them".

add that with the large amount of advertising that Nik/can do, and thing like Nikon put a lot of money into sporting and fashion events. Sony don't stand a chance. Having the best product means nothing if you don't have the marketing. I've been in IT for 20 years and Novell have some of the best products but they have the hopeless marketing/sales so they get no where.

Just my thoughts :)
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The best way for sony to sell more cameras, is to simply make the best most appealing models in this price range.

They seem to have conflicts though, on the one hand they are prepared to re-style the bodies, cut down size and weight..add help stuff for new users etc. Yet they don't put a video mode in. I don't care about it myself, but if you are trying to consumer cybershot the low end DSLR market..that seems like a pretty good way to do it. I am not sure they know exactly where they are going to be blunt.

And I raise the consistency thing again..Canon have...since the 300d kept their models pretty much as before, with minor tweaks..and features adjustments etc. Going to a brand new look, is a risky thing to do. Also, we have different media, different battery, vertical grips won't work on new ones, previous users of the A200-350 are shut out, they scream, no way don't buy me! I know a whole lot of Canon users who went on upgrades for years..350-400 etc. It is true Canon have done newer grips, and went to SD..but the look was and is consistent.I think this is simply not going to work for sony, one to add to the growing list of mistakes. People will still be buying Canon and Nikon's hand over fist..

There is nothing new or interesting here, it's simply the same previous generation models, with likely worse handling, in smaller lighter bodies. And I thought the D40-D60 from Nikon was lame, meet the new champ ;-)
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The new a380 bodies are marginally more expensive (1.5%) than the a350, and the kits are up around 14%. However, the a330 is less than the a300 by more than 45%, and less than the cost of an F42am flash gun. At least in Denmark.

...One Dyxum user pre-ordered his a330 and reported being charged only 10 DKK on his visa card. That's something like $1.80 here in the states...certainly worth an experiment if he doesn't mind paying what it's really worth. I seem to pay just $1.00 for all my tanks of gas (petrol) until the real charge comes through a day or so later.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I think that trimming 1cm and 100g off bodies, making the rear screen fit flush even on the folding screen design, removing protruding controls (again mainly flush), and restyling so that the smaller body looks even neater than it could have with 'old style' thinking - it adds up to an appealing product for the big market which Sony says exists - women, teens, family buyers - not men, middleaged, photoenthusiast buyers.

Looks like it could just be MS only, all the various sites with info have been appearing and disappearing as fast as anyone spotted them.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I missed the Sony Style displays of the new cameras but I have seen the specs elsewhere and in DK's entry. I will not be spending a penny on any of these "old wine in new bottles". I will be interested to see the higher ISO performance of the A380 compared with my A350. If it is any better I hope that Barry F. will be able to "will" Sony to release a firmware upgrade to the A350 giving it the same performance level. After all it seems to be the same sensor. That will not help his A200 but it would be a good public gesture.
I do believe that Sony will release a successor to the A700. I cannot envisage them leaving a gaping hole between the 2/300 series and the A900. I hope for an upgrade incorporating a 15-17 Mp CMOS sensor to beat the Canon 50D hands down on IQ higher ISO performance. If Sony deliver that I shall pull up my wallet.
Just had my A350 with CZ16-80 out in Ayrshire on a sunny day this week. That 14.2 Mp sensor is awesome behind that CZ lens at 200 ISO. The colour and resolution just blows you away. I can understand why DK has taken to use it sometimes in preference to his A900.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

SD and MS slots:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/ ... 40522.html

"The new cameras include dedicated slots for high-capacity Memory Stick PRO Duo™, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ and SD/SDHC media (sold separately)."
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

heh, when are they going to release the time machine? it's not tomorrow in San Diego yet ..
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

from the release: these prices seem veruy good. even the 230 with the 18-55 is only 550.00 on release day? no price on the 30mm though
Sony wrote:The SAL-1855 standard zoom lens will cost about $200.
The SAL-55200 telephoto zoom lens will cost about $230.
The SAL-50F18 portrait lens will cost about $150.
The HVL-F20AM flash will cost about $130.
KevinBarrett

I can't believe Sony is releasing a lens or flash that inexpensive. Bravo, Sony! What they need to do now is market the heck out of these new products.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have been reading the various rants on DPR and Dyxum over the last few days with a degree of irritation. Perhaps some of those involved in the squabble over the rights and wrongs of MS vs SD would like to withdraw their postings ? Why is having 3 models and giving the buying public more of a choice a problem ? Especially from Sony's production costs you are only up for 2 camera bodies and rest of the parts are very much mix and match.

Just as I wouldn't be surprised by Sony putting the 14 MP sensor into GFP Nikon D90 style body as an inexpensive as they can make it / low cost enthusiast camera. :mrgreen:

Also there seems to be an assumption that the sensors, processing chips and firmware are going to be simply a carryover straight from the A200/300/350 without any tweeks or adjustments. Just as there are people posting claims that the 12 MP sensor in the D90 is the same as A700 or D300 - lets just wait for more information and some studio tests on real subjects. :D
KevinBarrett

DK provided links to Sony's virtual press kit in the latest update to the main site. The atest articles do not show up when you go to "www.photoclubalpha.com" (Why is that, David?), but you must look for the new headlines in a column on the left side of the page.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/05/1 ... mi-output/

In the press kit are images of a red colored a330,

ImageImage

and an a230 and a380 wearing one of the new prime lenses (30/2.8?).

Various other pictures are provided, including views of the card slots and mode dial, as well as images of the new flash and lenses. Links for low and high resolution press images are provided below each thumbnail, but I can't get them to work. :( Perhaps we'll have to wait until the official announcement.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I'm trying to promote the subscriptions to the digital versions.

I just added 96 pages of reviews, technique and stuff - from around 2006 mainly - converted from f2 and Master magazine pdfs and put together into a sort of compendium book. Alpha and other things related, like reviews from Nikon D200 and D80, Pentax K10D, Panasonic Lumix L1 etc - the 10 megapixel era. It's added free to the subscriptions, and I will be adding many more back issue/archive articles in similar assemblies in future as I am able to locate them.

David