To crop or not to crop - that is the question

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

To crop or not to crop - that is the question

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

A few weeks ago I took a post-sunset photo while visiting the city in which I was born and raised. I think that I want to make a print for the wall of my study, and I think that it would work better if cropped as shown below. However, I have the nagging feeling that it might actually be better with less cropping, or possibly even zero cropping.

As I am thinking of cropping the image
As I am thinking of cropping the image
As captured -no cropping
As captured -no cropping
Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

PS
Although it is not relevant to my question, I see that the colors are a bit different (darker) in my browser than in my color-managed editor. That's not a surprise, as I was aware that this sort of thing can happen, but it's the first time that I have experienced it with one of my own images on line.
harveyzone
Oligarch

Re: To crop or not to crop - that is the question

Unread post by harveyzone »

UrsaMajor wrote:A few weeks ago I took a post-sunset photo while visiting the city in which I was born and raised. I think that I want to make a print for the wall of my study, and I think that it would work better if cropped as shown below. However, I have the nagging feeling that it might actually be better with less cropping, or possibly even zero cropping.
Personally, I prefer the uncropped of the two... I don't like the half cropped post in the bottom right. If you are going to crop, I would be a little less agressive - try leaving the ground beneath the post on (and all of the yellow reflection) and cropping around where the reflection of the land reaches the edge on the left.
--
Tom
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi, :)

I prefer the uncropped version because I believe the foreground is very rich with elements that tell the story of that region and the surrounding environment.

Yildiz
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

I like the un-cropped version. If you want to crop it, I'd consider something milder:
Untitled-1.jpg
This at least retains the nice reflection of the brightly lit cloud in the water. I still like the original though.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I'd also go for the uncropped version. Having this bid of land in the bottom right corner adds to the feeling of depths. JCoffins suggestion is also very good.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

For me, the trouble with the crop is that it makes the object in the lower-right corner (sign, nest-box?) more prominent to the point that it starts to become a distraction. I would begin by removing that.
Attachments
Crop090518.jpg
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Winston wrote: For me, the trouble with the crop is that it makes the object in the lower-right corner (sign, nest-box?) more prominent to the point that it starts to become a distraction. I would begin by removing that.
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think that you (Winston) identified what it is that was bothering me the most about the crop that I had been considering. As soon I read the comment above, I realized that although I was debating about how much river reflection to include, what really detracted the most from the crop (in my eyes) is the distraction the reflector post becomes.

Off-topic comment: The object in the lower right corner is a reflector post for the use of river traffic. It is located at a bend in the river, which is a major tributary of the Ohio River and carries a lot of traffic day and night - as exemplified by the picture below of a 3x3 string of barges carrying coal.
River traffic in early springtime
River traffic in early springtime
With best wishes,
- Tom -
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Sonolta wrote: Sounds like a bit of an anomaly. FYI Firefox has a color management plugin available. I edit on an extended gamut monitor and I MUST use a color managed browser otherwise many colors are absolutely positively garish on it.

-Sonolta
As you say, there is a plug-in available. The plug-in isn't really necessary though. All the plug-in does is turn on the color management that's already built into FireFox. If you want, you can turn it on without the plug-in though. The steps involved are:
  • start FireFox and enter: "about:config" as the address to browse.
  • You'll get a warning that you can cause problems if you edit carelessly, so be careful.
  • [/*]
  • Type "color_management" into the "filter" at the top of the screen.
  • That should leave only a few items, one of which will be gfx.color_management.enabled. Set that to true.
  • There should also be one for the profile for your monitor -- make sure it's set to an appropriate file.