Challenge 8: "Funny Face" - Open to Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Challenge 8: "Funny Face" - Open to Submissions

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

This challenge is for playful portraits, funny faces, and comedic countenances!

Entries should be otherwise composed as a portrait, but with an unorthodox portrait expression. Make sure your pictures are obtained with the subject's consent (and if you shoot your significant other, he or she gets to shoot you too!). The limit is two entries. Have fun and happy shooting!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Challenge 8: "Funny Face"

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Maria Cecilia.
Maxxum 7D and Minolta 24~105D
HSD 5600 wireless
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Hopefully this would count for a "funny countenance". Sony A100 with Vivitar 90/2.5 Macro and MD/MA adapter daylight shot.

With best regards,
Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Sury,

Looks like the young, yet emerging replica of Captain America! :D :D (surely the identity needs to be kept a secret)

Cute...

Good luck with this challenge. :)

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

I took my first camera in to work and popped in and out of offices, Nov 2006.

This is Paul

Sony alpha 100 + 18-70 kit lens: 60mm @ f5.6 1/100sec ISO-400

As he had his eyes closed I had to rely on a catchlight on his teeth :lol:
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Good shots so far, guys, thank you for your entries! I'll be posting my own as soon as I finish negotiations with the wife. :mrgreen:

Pako, nice energy! Was this an outtake from a more serious shoot?
Sury, cute kid...what's he doing?!
Henry, it's an effective image in itself, but very dark. Is there a funny back-story?
Brian, right on. Photographic harassment at the workplace is beautiful! We should all work with good-humored people such as Paul, here.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
berlin steve
Acolyte

Unread post by berlin steve »

:oops: "3 going on 70" :oops:

Stumbled across this site today, and couldn't resist the challenge. Picture of my son trying to make a beard of bubbles in the bath. I'm pretty new to DSLR photography, so any comments and tips appreciated.

Taken on: Sony Alpha 300 with Minolta 50mm 1.7 and built in flash

more pics on http://www.flickr.com/photos/berlin_steve/
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Very nice entrance to the forum, so a big welcome Steve. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Steve, welcome aboard. That photo says everything about Alpha colour versus other makes! Also, it's funny this, real memories of doing this with foam as a kid. Forgotten all about making foam into shapes. And making pointy hat shapes or big ears for them when our kids were that tiny.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

KevinBarrett wrote: Pako, nice energy! Was this an outtake from a more serious shoot?
She's sort of my niece -one of my best friend's daughter, that I know since she was 6. This pictures were taken in 2005 while I went to Buenos Aires visit my friends over there. She was studying acting at the Buenos Aires conservatoire -she already finished her studies (her lastest project is http://www.nomequites.com.ar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) She needed some headshots and after a "conservative" posing session, she offer me that funny face...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
berlin steve
Acolyte

Unread post by berlin steve »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Steve, welcome aboard. That photo says everything about Alpha colour versus other makes! Also, it's funny this, real memories of doing this with foam as a kid. Forgotten all about making foam into shapes. And making pointy hat shapes or big ears for them when our kids were that tiny.

David
David,

is it Sony Alpha colour or Minolta alpha mount colour you are refering to? To be honest, the camera does most of the thinking for me so I'm normally on one of the preset settings. Just trying to pick up some tips as I go along and try to improve my shooting.

The reason I am asking is my Sony kit lens colours are not quite as bright as the 2nd hand Minolta lenses I bought. I suspect it is more lens than camera settings. I don't have any experience of other DSLRs and my SLR experience from my youth was Zenith... so nothing at all to write home about there. I bought a couple of Minolta lenses 2nd hand (Beercan 70-210 1:4, 35-70 1:4( with beercan purchase) and the 50mm prime, purely based on online recommendations after buying the camera. I'm kind of curious if I will ever be able to get great colour with the kit lens, of if I should just write it off and stick to my old second hand Minolta 25 year old lenses..

thanks

Steve
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The older Minolta lenses are often balanced very neutral to warm (one balance - it was how Minolta made lenses) while things like the new kit lenses were just bought in from outside suppliers anyway, and don't have the same coatings or glass types. They can be cooler, which always looks less colourful.

You may find that adding a 1B or 1A filter to the kit lens changes the balance enough to give more sympathetic results.

David
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

Here's my first contribution to a challenge - here is one of my son...

It doesn't look quite as strange next to all the others :D :lol:
--
Tom
sury

Unread post by sury »

[quote="KevinBarrett"]Good shots so far, guys, thank you for your entries! I'll be posting my own as soon as I finish negotiations with the wife. :mrgreen:

He is my friend's son and he was fooling around with the hat on a July 4th weekend. It was one of his mischievous poses which he thought was funny.
I felt it was an ironically funny (or funnily ironic) interpretation that brings smile to viewer without necessarily watching a funny face.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper