Alpha Lens Rental + Wedding

From portraiture to photojournalism, fashion, weddings and whatever
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Alpha Lens Rental + Wedding

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

In one weekend in August I will have the rare pleasure of shooting two inexpensive weddings in one weekend. Because of this, I can justify renting an extra body from Alpha Lens Rental without sweating the cost of renting cutting into my meager profits. So I thought, why stop there? Why not rent a lens that I might not get the pleasure or justification to work with again?

One wedding is indoors in the morning, the next wedding is outdoors in the evening, with no reception.

I have:
a700 with VG
17-50/2.8
70-210/4
50/1.7
24/2.8

Will rent:
extra a700 with VG

What additional lens should I rent?
135/1.8
85/1.4
70-200/2.8
open to other suggestions...
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Alpha Lens Rental + Wedding

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

If it were just 2 lenses on those 2 weddings, I would opt for the 17-50 on one camera and 85/1.4 on the other (though you might consider also the 70-200/2.8 too for one of the weddings, the outdoor one).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Get the A900 + 24-70 2.8!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett

Actually, renting the a900 would be more than all the rentals I'm considering combined. I'm leaning toward the 135/1.8, myself.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Set your beercan to 135mm and shoot with that for an hour. I have a 135/2.8 and it is just very very long on APS-C. I would not go for the 135/1.8.

Why don't sell the beercan & 24/2.8, save the money for the rental and buy the Sigma 70-200, praised by DK. Or rent the Sony 70-200 & take your 17-50. Unless you do some staged shoots, you're going to loose a lot of pics if you have to change lenses.
jonathanh
Acolyte

Unread post by jonathanh »

I would recommend a 24 -70 lenses as this will cover most of what you need with a 70 200 for candids these are the only two lenses that I use other than a 12-24 for overall effect shots. Just remmember that its not the lenses that you have but the way that you use them that will make for great photos.
Jonathan H
http://www.piersphoto.com
A900, A700's user
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

I am certainly no professional but I did cover a birthday bash recently that went well and as a result I have a booking to cover a civil partnership day soon.

I used my a700 & grip + SAL70200 f2.8 and a100 + Sig 1850 f2.8 with 56 flash and surprised myself with the results. The party people loved them, I sold loads of pictures and books I created in BLURB.

Wound up the ISO and the trick was using the fast lenses in the low light, but beware the shallow depth of field at 2.8.
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I'm getting in on this late - I've been too busy to hit the forums much lately - but I have some advise.

Having done weddings professionally for a few years, you need to know the location setups and rules to determine the lenses needed. If they don't allow flash during the ceremony (lots of churches still don't) you need to set up in the balcony with long lenses. The outdoor one won't have a balcony, but then light should be less of a problem.

Group shots of the wedding party require wide glass. These are the most important, beside the ring and first kiss. If they have a Unity Candle, grabbing that shot from the balcony with a star filter adds a touch of magic!

I'm just getting back into weddings on digital, and booked a cheapie recently. It will be all digital delivery, burn everything to DVD and hand it off. I also plan on doing that in the future with dumping everything to a digital picture frame. Music optional.

I'm finding lots of people who like that idea, turn it on while visitors are over, they'll see more of the wedding than if the album lay unopened on the coffee table. Also printing costs are cut out of the price. You can always add an 11x14 or larger for the mantle, that's really all most people ever look at anyway.

Dusty
KevinBarrett

I actually just shot the first of two weddings this weekend. All I rented was a Gary Fong diffuser, which was useless for this first wedding. I was able to do most of it with the Tamron 17-50/2.8, Minolta 50/1.7, and F56AM
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
KevinBarrett

One from the wedding today. a700 + 50/1.7
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Congratulations on your wedding assignments Kevin.

Looks like these past two weddings have been good learning experiences for you and next ones will be of less trouble.

I don't think you should let your Sony go easily though, as there're still some more announcements to be heard of apparently! Take me for example; I am patiently waiting for some good/exciting cameras while shooting my garden's insect population as a good learning pass time! :D :D

Yildiz