Something ancient this way comes...

For active users of the Advanced Photographic System, APS, which Minolta branded as Vectis, including the RD-3000 DSLR
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Something ancient this way comes...

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

In the form of a Vectis RD3000 outfit. I acquired a 7D in a purchase of lenses recently, and now the 7D body has found a home with a reader whose 7D is unreliable. In return I'm getting an RD3000 with 17mm, 22-80mm, 50mm macro and 80-240mm - which just happens to be EXACTLY the same kit as I sold back around 2002-3 to buy my first Dimage 7.

Purpose, simply to revisit the RD3000 in the light of experience with digital (it's amazing how few TIFF files I saved back when I used one, because of the incredible slowness and the 32MB CF card!). And to photograph the kit in the studio for my archives. Then maybe pass it on again to someone else to experiment with.

However, one thing I do plan to investigate. The Vectis lenses were pretty good, especially the 80-240mm APO and the 50mm macro. They can not be used on any other system, but in the meantime, Micro 4/3rds has arrive with a slimmer back focus. I'm going to see whether a Vectis S to Micro 4/3rds adaptor is possible. The lenses cover 17 x 25mm format.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Something ancient this way comes...

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

With all those mirrors inside the RD3000, just what is the effective back focus of the mount?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

It's a bit slimmer than the regular Alpha mount. It's a long time since I had hands on one, so it will be interesting to study it. I can't even remember if the AF drive and aperture use similar couplings to the Alpha, or whether than resemble Canon (electronic).

David
JohnnyWas

Unread post by JohnnyWas »

David,

I also have an RD3000 w/ all the lenses. And also a vectis s-1. :(

The 17mm is quite nice. If you find an adapter, it would make my day!

John
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Did you know this E-mount was a reality an d think it might be a dusted off Vectis fit ?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I do not know. But I can tell you the manufacturing similarity between the plastic Vectis mount (cheaper lenses) and the new SAM plastic mount is striking.

I've sold all the set of Vectis lenses now anyway, I needed to replace funds after buying rather too many odds and ends. The RD3000 as a 'non-usable' purchase has gone up on eBay at £5 starting price...

I do not think the E-mount will be Vectis but I would be delighted if it appeared, and turned out to be identical. There would be a rush on Vectis lenses of course, especially the macro 50mm and the 80-240mm.
David