LR and camera raw

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
picman
Heirophant

LR and camera raw

Unread post by picman »

Hi all,

I am trying out LR3 and can't for the life of me find out whether LR uses/requires camera raw (v6.1), where, if it does, this is installed and if it gets installed automatically when you install LR3.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Bob
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: LR and camera raw

Unread post by pakodominguez »

mmm
Camera Raw is a plugin for PhotoShop. Photoshop run it every time you try to open a RAW file.
LR have a similar engine, with similar functions and sliders than ACR, but it is DA engine: it runs all the time, if you are correcting RAW files you'll have more tools than when you work with JPGs.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

pakodominguez wrote:mmm
Camera Raw is a plugin for PhotoShop. Photoshop run it every time you try to open a RAW file.
LR have a similar engine, with similar functions and sliders than ACR, but it is DA engine: it runs all the time, if you are correcting RAW files you'll have more tools than when you work with JPGs.
Thanks Paco, so I do not need to worry about the camera raw plugin, right?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

picman wrote: Thanks Paco, so I do not need to worry about the camera raw plugin, right?
Nope
just enjoy your photography
:-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Lightroom, or more specifically its development module, basically is Camera Raw. You can think of Lightroom as the stand-alone version of Camera Raw, and then some. So no, the Camera Raw plug-in is not required to run Lightroom; it's already built-in.