Q: A700 - worth 385€ for repair/adjustment/grid screen?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
springm
Oligarch

Re: Q: A700 - worth 385€ for repair/adjustment/grid screen?

Unread post by springm »

Dr. Harout wrote: I think it will fit your needs, Markus, as it will fit mine. :wink:
Oh, how I do envy your visionary powers! :P
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Markus, read this: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic67476_ ... tml#872221
specially Frankman's post on page 13.
This will interest Henry too. :)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
springm
Oligarch

Unread post by springm »

Dr. Harout,

thanks for the link. I went through several of those threads, not all of them reported long-term success. I have to admit that I don't feel at ease with pumping pressurized cleaner into an optical device.

There was even a high level repair reported, following a seemingly difficult disassembly of the camera top, which I do not feel fit to undertake. But when I get back the camera, I will make a second assessment of my options.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Markus, read this: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic67476_ ... tml#872221
specially Frankman's post on page 13.
This will interest Henry too. :)
Yes, been there, done that a long time ago. First time it "fixed" it for about a week. Second time for maybe 2-3 days. Third time for a day. Fourth time for a couple of hours. Fifth time nothing.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

springm wrote:There was even a high level repair reported, following a seemingly difficult disassembly of the camera top, which I do not feel fit to undertake. But when I get back the camera, I will make a second assessment of my options.
I sent my Sony in to be repaired in 2009. They replaced a whole bunch of parts. It stayed "fixed" for a little while, but then the problem returned. You can read about it here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=2535
springm
Oligarch

Unread post by springm »

bakubo wrote:[It stayed "fixed" for a little while, but then the problem returned.
Uh. Not what could be read as a glowing recommendation for Sony products.

In that context I don't understand why Sony didn't bother to get those things out of the world. Nothing is worse for a sustainable success than bad fact-based word of mouth.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

There is a poll on dyxum.com about the A700 control wheel defect. Almost 400 people have voted and the breakdown is 47% have had the problem and 53% have not. The problem with the poll though is that it started in 2010 and after you have voted saying you have not had the problem you can't go back and change your vote if it starts. I suspect that if you could the percentages would change a bit.

I think it is pretty shameful that out of a pretty large sample half of the owners have had this defect. Clearly bad QC, bad parts, or just plain old defective design. Sony should be ashamed, but still not a peep from them.
springm
Oligarch

Unread post by springm »

Add to that that in the German Sony user forum I read the first report about a wheel issue on the A33 (http://www.sonyuserforum.de/forum/showt ... p?t=103886)!

The same forum had sent an open letter to Sony regarding the wheel problems, but (I would have bet on that anyway) not one word of reaction from the side of the management. A bit of a Fukushima pattern of (non-) reaction: Don't admit anything until it gets proven and you have no alternative but flowery word clusters, and then don't back it up with any real, hard compensation measures.

Markus
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

springm wrote:Add to that that in the German Sony user forum I read the first report about a wheel issue on the A33 (http://www.sonyuserforum.de/forum/showt ... p?t=103886)!
This is the first report of an A33 that I have seen, but I am not surprised. I have seen reports of the problem in the A900, A580, A550, A100, and now A33 also. There probably have been other reports, but those are just some of the ones that I have happened to see. It seems like the A700 has it the worst though.
springm wrote: The same forum had sent an open letter to Sony regarding the wheel problems, but (I would have bet on that anyway) not one word of reaction from the side of the management. A bit of a Fukushima pattern of (non-) reaction: Don't admit anything until it gets proven and you have no alternative but flowery word clusters, and then don't back it up with any real, hard compensation measures.
Unfortunately, the camera/photo media (websites, magazines, etc.) have not bothered to say anything about this defect. When something gets enough negative exposure some companies that wouldn't normally step up to the plate will finally do so. I think Sony is not known for doing the right thing, in general, though. Note the rootkit fiasco, exposing the private financial info of millions of their customers, etc. If backed into a corner they might at least apologize. I don't expect that even that will happen with the A700 though.