New camera woes continued!

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: New camera woes continued!

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I've sent it off to Intro 2020 Ltd who is the official Metz supplier for the UK. The guy was pretty friendly and said they'll get it sorted out asap and return the flash and camera quickly. I hope I might have it back by the end of next week.
Once I get it back I'll contact Nikon and get this AF problem sorted out, never dealt with either company so I will report back on how that goes.

I hope it's just one of those "out of the blue things" esp with the Metz, pro level flash and all you'd expect it not to do that. But I will see what the situation is as the flash will have to have a part replaced. Seems to be some kind of plastic bit which lifts the locking pin up. I noticed it was a bit lose before I put the flash on the hot shoe, I'm betting it was defective out of the factory as this shouldn't happen at all.

AF wise I suspect sloppy QC at the factor as this is a recent production model. I've noted Nikon are having problems with AF a lot recently even D800 users are having issues. I'll be blunt you shouldn't have to send a camera in for this if it's done right at the point of manufacturing. But if I list off all the digital cameras I've bought every single one has had a problem

Km5d first black frame, which was fixed for free
K-x mirror slap
K-r Front focus (no fix)
D90 AF problems

And yet I pull a dynax 5 or 7 or even 60 out of the bag and it rarely causes concern for accuracy. Oh well as long as it can be fixed that's all that really matters. The plan was for the D90 to be the first step into F mount and to add something a bit more meaty later on. I've not had any issues with Fuji, but I note they've had plenty of problems of late esp sensor wise. Seems even the 5d MkIII has light leak problems too.
I suppose it's a sign of the times even bigger production runs and more problems happen
bfitzgerald

Update the Metz flash came back not attached to the D90 body!
Pretty quick and good service from Metz (into 2020 in the UK) everything is working great and the flash shoe was changed the locking pin tab which lifts up the pin looks stronger and more robust. Might just have to put that down to bad luck but I'm happy enough now.

I'll be going over the D90 again and probably sending that back next week.
So thumbs up for Metz..superb flash unit been playing and it just nails it every time dead on. Has everything you want and probably some stuff you might not.

I see no reason to look at the SB910 unit or if you're using Sony I think this is very much worth looking at as an alternative to the top end Sony gun.
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Agree completely, Barry, its a great flash. I bought one 2nd hand recently (ex demo actually) and now have no desire to get Nikon's SB910 unit. Would recommend the Metz to anyone.

Philip
bfitzgerald

D90 was returned yesterday and it looks as if the AF issues are sorted out. I've tried it with various lenses and it's on target. First one I tried was the Tamron 90mm which was so far off you actually got de-focused images quite badly really.
It's so far been spot on never doubted it was a body issue and not a lens one..lens problems are not as common, and I've used it in various mount never even heard of an issue with that one.

Still one good thing is that I'm a lot more confident about using it now, and the service was fairly quick too so no complaints on this one. They did what Pentax wouldn't and that was just fix it! I can live with issues, as long as they get sorted out.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Great news! I hope you have some camera calm in your life for awhile with no more problems.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:This G3 with the 14-42mm kit lens is quite small and light so I am enjoying carrying it around instead of the 60D for awhile. The AF is quite fast, about like my A700 and 60D. I never use AF tracking so I mean it is very fast to lock-on when in single AF mode. It has an EVF and it has the advantages and disadvantages of the current EVF tech. The EVF is pretty good, maybe not quite up to the NEX 7, but I haven't tried them side-by-side. I shoot raw so I changed the photo style to natural, turned contrast all the way down, and turned saturation all the way down so that the EVF view is a bit less contrasty and also so the histogram is a bit more accurate for a raw file. A professional photographer in my hometown (Austin, Texas) wrote about the G3 recently and it was a nice article (I don't know him, by the way):

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.jp/201 ... -with.html

Apparently, among some of the idiots on the internet that article kicked up a storm so he wrote this funny rebuttal:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.jp/201 ... -time.html

Over the last few days I also have played around a bit with face detect. Seems to work very well and might be useful sometimes. Last night I did a search and found this article about it:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... rt-ii.html
I still have the G3 and from time to time I still use it a bit. I gave it to my wife in 2012, but even though it is a lot smaller and lighter than her A100 that I also gave her in 2007 she almost never uses either one. When we go on a road trip in the U.S. and there are animals around (such as Yellowston NP) then she might use one. :)

Anyway, this G3 is still quite a nice camera and when I play with it I am sort of surprised how good this 2011 model still is. After getting the E-M5 a couple of months after dipping my toes into m4/3 with this G3 I have been pretty satisfied. Maybe if there is an E-M5II next year that looks really good I will consider it. It would be nice if the ergonomics of the E-M5 were improved some.