Let's post some panoramas

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Let's post some panoramas

Unread post by aster »

Brilliant ones, Paul! : )

There's hard work in those shots...I agree with all the nice comments made by the guys above.

Yildiz
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I love those shots., Paul. I could spend several years wandering around Europe and looking at/photographing old estates. They all have such rich history.

Any idea as to the arches on the lower level. Where they originally open? If so for what reason, or for what reason were they closed?

Dusty
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Thanks for the kind comments, I was really pleased with the way they turned out.

The overcast sky helps to even the exposure, although for these sort of shots I take an average reading and set this manually (found to my cost in the past what happens if you don't do that!!)

The bowes Museum was a purpose built museum and has links to the british royal family.

There is a load of imformation on the website

http://www.thebowesmuseum.org.uk/

Hope you enjoy the read

Cheers

Paul
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Bull Creek in Austin, Texas

Here is a larger version:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas/austin_ ... k_pano.jpg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This is a panorama of Makapu'u Beach today:

Here is a larger version:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas/makapuu_pano.jpg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Johnc wrote:Any idea why it's called "Kapahulu Groin"?
Sorry, John, but I just now noticed your question. Why do they call it the Kapahulu Groin? Simple. Hawaiians used to catch crabs there. :lol:
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

A great cove is the Makapu'u, Henry.

The wide angle with the slight deformation enhances the formation of the actual beach.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ken M »

Minnesota Twins Target Field

A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Tamron 72E 90mm 2.8 Macro
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony
Sony 55-300mm and 55-200mm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Ken, Kevin: Thanks for posting. Very nice panoramas!

Where is Shoshone Falls? It looks like a very interesting landscape.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:A great cove is the Makapu'u, Henry.
After I made the panorama we continued walking and then took the trail all the way around to the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse. I have been wanting to go out there for years, but the nearest bus stop is pretty far away. This time we got off and then took the long walk up the hill walking on the highway (since there is no place to walk except right on the road) to the trailhead. It is a pretty unsafe thing to do, but there is no other choice and is what the bus drivers recommend. There is no shoulder, just a concrete barrier wall to prevent cars from plunging off the side of the cliff. I wish they would add a bus stop near the trailhead because at that place there is a parking lot and the highway has been widened to have a big shoulder so it would be trivial to make a bus stop there. Also, it just makes so much sense. Maybe I should write a letter to the newspaper. :lol:

Here is some info about Makapu'u:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makapu%CA%BBu
aster wrote: The wide angle with the slight deformation enhances the formation of the actual beach.
Yes, when the software (I used the PSE 9 panorama function for this one) stitches the 4 images together it sort of distorts the image. I guess a consequence of trying to put so much in a 2D image. :)
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bakubo wrote:Where is Shoshone Falls? It looks like a very interesting landscape.
Thank you! It is in Southern Idaho, accessible through Twin Falls off of I84.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

We used to get the Major league here but it was late at night when it started and was very late when it finished so it needed to be on a Friday or Saturday night so we could watch it all, I remember the Minnesota Twins getting in the playoffs one year against the Oakland A’s I think, or was it against the Braves, my memory is a bit dodgy on that now. Lovely stadium btw.

Nice scene KB, I think Elements does a reasonable job most of the time, I think the more generous you are with the overlap the better maybe but yeah you always get that narrower section in the middle photos and then you have to trim off each end to make it rectangular again, at least that’s how it happens with my Elements 9 and the choices I make.
Greg
Ps It’d be good if the posting size was made bigger here for pans that’s for sure and I do have a bit of an objection sometimes with pans. I like to know what perspective it is I’m looking at (lens focal length) so I can estimate how distorted the photo might be or alternatively how close to the real thing it might be. I’ve never been to those places and probably never will I suppose, so I for one would really appreciate it if the pan was done with a normal-ish lens focal length for the format and not a wide angle. :roll:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:I think Elements does a reasonable job most of the time, I think the more generous you are with the overlap the better maybe but yeah you always get that narrower section in the middle photos and then you have to trim off each end to make it rectangular again, at least that’s how it happens with my Elements 9 and the choices I make.
I always do a 50% overlap when I shoot photos for a panorama. Giving it a very generous overlap is helpful, I think.
Greg Beetham wrote: Ps It’d be good if the posting size was made bigger here for pans that’s for sure and I do have a bit of an objection sometimes with pans. I like to know what perspective it is I’m looking at (lens focal length) so I can estimate how distorted the photo might be or alternatively how close to the real thing it might be. I’ve never been to those places and probably never will I suppose, so I for one would really appreciate it if the pan was done with a normal-ish lens focal length for the format and not a wide angle. :roll:
For my panorama you have to click on the link to see the larger version. I generally use about a 35mm to 50mm equivalent FL, but for this one of Makapu'u I used a 28mm FL so that I could get more of the sky, beach, and the rocks beneath us in the photo. I have several panoramas here:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas.html
Greg Beetham wrote:I’ve never been to those places and probably never will I suppose, so I for one would really appreciate it if the pan was done with a normal-ish lens focal length for the format and not a wide angle. :roll:
How about posting some of your panoramas?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The makapu’u pano is certainly beautiful Henry and the Bull Creek photo is nice as well but they both look distorted by various degrees too my eye the Bull Creek one especially, I could be wrong of course. I don’t think its worthwhile posting any pano’s of mine (not that I’ve had much of a chance since digital came in to actually take many, with all the ongoing house re-building and just finished inside-outside re-furb of my old truck) at 1000 pixels wide limit.
Greg
Ps I haven’t got time to talk much at the moment, I’ve got to go for Jury service today and probably will be on call for the next two weeks, but I think with panos there is the choice of taking portrait overlaps as well as landscape.