Focus on imaging 2013 UK show - No show for Sony

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Focus on imaging 2013 UK show - No show for Sony

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/exhibitors.htm

This is a fairly big deal for the UK pretty big show
Usual list of fairly big names heck even Kodak are on the list (not sure what they will show)

Canon, Nikon, Sekonic, Sigma, Tamrac, Tamron, Ilford Photo, Lowepro, Fujifilm, JVC, Carl Zeiss, Metz, Samyang

Some names missing Panasonic for one but no Sony seems they are completely off the radar but their side kick Zeiss turns up!
Strange, but then Sony have put so little into many shows it's not that shocking. If you don't turn up then that kinda speaks volumes.

They still have time to book a place, but I'd imagine they won't bother. They can sink quite a bit of cash into NEX adverts yet fail to make an appearance at a major UK event sad to see.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Focus on imaging 2013 UK show - No show for Sony

Unread post by bakubo »

Awhile back the "new" Kodak announced they were coming out with m4/3 bodies.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Sony wasn't there lat year either
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Just another example of how clueless Sony are.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

that's not really Kodak though - they have licenced their brand name to a 3rd party.

As for Focus a couple of years ago Sony decided that they were better off spending their money on other marketing activities than attending.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I'm no expert in marketing, but isn't part of that talking , and listening, to your customers, and potential customers, to find out what they think of your products, what the want to see in future products, and acting on those opinions?

If Sony were interested in marketing, they would still be manufacturing OVF cameras alongside the SLT range, but they have a history of not listening, and a history of avoiding the issue when asked directly about the future of OVF cameras. It is 18 months, give or take since their last obfuscation on the subject, When they said they were still considering future plans.

The closest they have come to announcing the end of OVF cameras is when they discontinued the final model in the range. Even then, they tried to put some spin on that by saying that it was still possible to buy OVF cameras, as many dealers would still have some stocks!

The Sony way is "My way, or the highway". I am already walking down that highway, by looking elsewhere for my next camera.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bfitzgerald

As I've found out the hard way it's not so easy to change mounts. I would first try to find something that you really like/get on with well and make sure it's meeting your need. Then dump the entire inventory of A mount, that's the only way to effectively change mounts. I tried keeping A mount stuff (almost all of it) which as it happens turned out ok as I was not happy with either Pentax or Nikon. Had I been happy with either I would have eventually got rid of everything on A Mount.

As for Sony I'm not shocked they don't turn up at smaller shows, but this is pretty big and important so I think they should be there.
On the listening side of things as I've found out with my little A57 service episode (now almost 5 weeks with no camera) Sony "tell you" they don't "listen or respond" I've found the service element the most interesting in my experience with Sony because it shows first hand their thinking and what they tell staff too.

The company is detached from it's customers, they have no real sense of responsibility to them, and time does not seem to be of any concern either. That's my experience of Sony which I am quite sad to convey and I think this extends to the products they offer. They TELL YOU what they are offering, and don't respond to users/customers/potential buyers at all. If they did we'd not be talking about iffy jpegs, or annoying nag screens, or not having OVF cameras to buy because the company would be doing just that listening to their customers.

I've accused Sony in the past of being arrogant and I'll add ignorant to the mix. That was before I had to deal with them service wise, now I have I really do think they are all of that and then some more. I've never dealt with a company that has such a couldn't care less customer attitude it's worse than indifference, quite astonishing really. Sony couldn't give a damn if I'm without a camera I paid for, for months possibly...I ask myself can I give a damn to buy such a makers products?
Heidfirst
Oligarch

bfitzgerald wrote:Sony couldn't give a damn if I'm without a camera I paid for, for months possibly...?
tbh Barry that should really be between you & the dealer. You didn't buy it from Sony direct & it's highly probable that the dealer made more profit from selling it to you than Sony did selling it to the dealer. Also, at least in the UK your redress/refund /whatever is with the retailer.
Similarly the 3rd party service facility should have kept you updated incl. telling you that it had been sent to Sony Pencoed & that in future you should deal with them directly.
Blaming Sony for other's failings isn't fair.
bfitzgerald

I don't want to go into an extended service argument here, but the retailer where I got the camera from did NOT have any other A57's in stock so that is why I went to Sony directly. Normally you would go back to the retailer but in this case I think I took a logical path. I could have got a refund but that does not solve my problem (ie I want the actual camera!)

I have no option but to blame Sony leaving a customer without their camera for 5 weeks (so far) cannot in any way be considered "good customer service" so stop making excuses for them. I was told to send the camera to the service facility in Eire, by Sony support directly (not to the UK service facility) had I been told to send it to the UK I would have of course.

Back to Sony in general it is quite clear to most of us that whoever is calling the shots is probably in Japan, and that they have a strategy or plan and will not deviate from it. Sony are not at the show because they really don't care about engaging with their customers/potential buyers. Simple as that really.

Sony won't make OVF cameras because the suit who is in charge will not accept any other views and is not interested in listening to their user base (who clearly do want OVF models to buy) Sony tell you what you get, they don't sit down and consider users views or in any way listen to them. That's why they are failing in the market their indifference is alienating customers and they simply don't offer the products most people want to buy.

Attending a show like this gives potential users the chance to engage with Sony and to look at their products. If Sony think that's a waste of time then that is up to them (clearly Canikon do not share that view) I doubt it would cost that much to attend the show, this lack of effort from Sony is quite indicative of the company as a whole (sadly)
Heidfirst
Oligarch

bfitzgerald wrote:I don't want to go into an extended service argument here, but the retailer where I got the camera from did NOT have any other A57's in stock so that is why I went to Sony directly. Normally you would go back to the retailer but in this case I think I took a logical path. I could have got a refund but that does not solve my problem (ie I want the actual camera!)
but you could have got a refund & bought another A57 albeit not from that dealer. You may even have got it cheaper.
So it was your decision to opt for a repair & I'm sure that at the time that you expected it to take at least some period of time (probably a couple of weeks albeit not 5).
I'm not sure of the situation in Eire but you may still have the right to press for a refund given the lengthy delay.
I have no option but to blame Sony leaving a customer without their camera for 5 weeks (so far) cannot in any way be considered "good customer service" so stop making excuses for them. I was told to send the camera to the service facility in Eire, by Sony support directly (not to the UK service facility) had I been told to send it to the UK I would have of course.
I'm not making excuses for Sony as clearly 5 weeks is too long but at least some of that time (that which it sat at the 3rd party service centre) is not attributable to Sony.
Back to Sony in general it is quite clear to most of us that whoever is calling the shots is probably in Japan, and that they have a strategy or plan and will not deviate from it. Sony are not at the show because they really don't care about engaging with their customers/potential buyers. Simple as that really.

Sony won't make OVF cameras because the suit who is in charge will not accept any other views and is not interested in listening to their user base (who clearly do want OVF models to buy) Sony tell you what you get, they don't sit down and consider users views or in any way listen to them. That's why they are failing in the market their indifference is alienating customers and they simply don't offer the products most people want to buy.

Sony make what they believe it is in their interest & capability to make, the same as any other manufacturer.
Certainly a % of their existing user base may not like EVF but if they can attract more new users with it then they are a net gainer. There is plenty of evidence that me too SLR/DSLRs do not significantly eat into CaNikon's market no matter how good they are.
& anybody with experience of sales & marketing knows that there are plenty of people who say I want this & this & this but when you give it to them they still don't buy it ...
Attending a show like this gives potential users the chance to engage with Sony and to look at their products. If Sony think that's a waste of time then that is up to them (clearly Canikon do not share that view) I doubt it would cost that much to attend the show, this lack of effort from Sony is quite indicative of the company as a whole (sadly)
having done plenty of things like this you are looking at at least a couple of hundred thousands of pounds.
I'm sure that Canon & Nikon UK's marketing budgets for cameras are substantially greater than Sony's & they therefore can more easily incorporate that expenditure into their budgets.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I would interpret the overall marketing effort by Sony as poor enough to rate as a token gesture through the normal market interface, they do big sponsorship deals and naming rights though, and big photographic competitions so they aren't dormant.
They also maintain commercial contact with existing registered customers quite well through the emails from My Sony with offers and product announcements.
The marketing oddment I have noticed though is missing logos on opposition cameras when watching a movie that is made or distributed through the Sony entertainment corp. it’s quite odd to realize someone has removed the Nikon or Canon brand name off the front of a camera in a movie but on occasion the Sony brand name survives quite ok. I don’t know if that’s petty or what but it’s certainly obvious.
Who know it might even achieve something, but I’m not sure if it’ll be what they want.
Greg
bfitzgerald

To me it's quite obvious if a company like Ilford can turn up (niche product maker for the rather smaller film market plus papers) and other makers like Tamrac and Lowepro who are bag makers, then a company the size of Sony can def afford to buy a stand and send a few "knowledgeable" staff members to man it. Heck even Samyang have a stand and they're far from a huge lens maker.

Not really any sensible excuses from Sony on this one major UK photo event and Sony are nowhere to be seen.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

bfitzgerald wrote:To me it's quite obvious if a company like Ilford can turn up (niche product maker for the rather smaller film market plus papers) and other makers like Tamrac and Lowepro who are bag makers, then a company the size of Sony can def afford to buy a stand and send a few "knowledgeable" staff members to man it. Heck even Samyang have a stand and they're far from a huge lens maker.

Not really any sensible excuses from Sony on this one major UK photo event and Sony are nowhere to be seen.
Haw! :lol: you’ve still got it Barry.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I’d say Sony being such a secret squirrel organization and it’s so easy for someone to make a slip at a convention like that when constantly being quizzed from all directions, a slip that can prove to be a very bad career move when working for a company like Sony I’d say. That’s probably one of their big problems staffing an event like that, an extreme lack of volunteers to do it even if there were some people working in a capacity at a level that they could make some knowledgeable noises.
Greg