Landscape 2013

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Landscape 2013

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg - it was a an absolute mass of buttercups. I wouldn't be surprised to find deer around here, especially very early in the morning :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

About a mile down the road from the last meadow reserve there is another. This was early the following morning. I liked the way the path snakes through the meadow to the opposite top corner.

(Greg, you'll need you reading glasses again :D .)

Boynes Meadows 2013 - Out Across the Meadow by Birm, on Flickr

A99 and, just to prove I take the Sigma off occasionally, if only briefly :) , the SAL 28-75.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ha! I don’t need the reading glasses to see those Birma, it does look like a very nice natural peaceful meadow scene, it’s a wonder there aren’t any storks or cranes or ibis having a poke about in it, there would have to be the odd insect to be sampled, one would think.
Greg
Ps did you try the 50 yet? Not happy with it?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg :) . Those types of waders etc. tend to be found around the coast and wetland areas rather than where we are. You do see the odd Heron but they are typically after fish and frogs in streams and rivers. The are plenty of insects at the moment (what do they east when they can't get photographer?!) and we have the Swifts, Swallows and Martins to scoop them up, as well as a whole host of LBJs who fly in for the summer (Flycatcher types).

I did get the 50 out after you suggested it. It was fine (nice sharposity!) but I found it a bit restrictive not having the ability to zoom. I'm often restricted in movement due to needing to keep to the footpaths to not trample the flowers, and so the 28-75 is normally covering the shots where a 50 might be used. I have been experimenting with the 50 focal length though on the 28-75 to try and get my eye in.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A couple of landscape shots from last weekend.

My original plan had been to get some sunrise shots lighting up the (yellow) field of Oil Seed Rape you can see in the distance. I took these shots while waiting for the sun to get high enough. By the time the sun was high enough it had clouded over and I wasn't patient enough to wait - I went off to do some more meadow shots at another location. Of course, after 10 minutes the cloud broke and it would have been perfect - another one of those shots that got away!

Teme Valley 2013 - Moon Set by Birm, on Flickr

Teme Valley 2013 - Through the Trees by Birm, on Flickr

Both with A99 and SAL 28-75.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Still those are pleasant scenes Birma with the sheep and the amazing yellow in the distance, I like the moon too, the steep slope of the hill gives a great view, the poor old grass (in the distance) looks a bit blue, was that because of the cold and dew or it being in shade?
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg :) . The blue tinge to the grass is probably due to still being in the shade and the heavy dew lying on it.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Some more meadow scenes.

I think this is my favorite of this path, with the orchids in the foreground.

Boynes Meadows 2013 - Meadow Flowers by Birm, on Flickr

Another gate scene. An enigmatic part of any picture I think - is it a way out, or is it shut against us? :)

Boynes Meadows 2013 - Gate by Birm, on Flickr

Both with the A99. The first with the SAL 28-75 and the second with the Sigma 70-300.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Superb work Birma, you have access to some amazing countryside and are capturing it so well. I always like to see the odd gate or stile in these kind of photos. I would think all kinds of wildlife and such are around just before you arrive ;^) These photos are a real pleasure to view. Thanks for sharing.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I suppose the Trust has fences and gates on their places so any sheep or cattle don’t get in from a farm next door. I like the walk in the English countryside Birma.
Greg
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Great selection of shots Birma
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you Greg, DA and Caporip for your comments :)

Greg, the reserves are small oases amongst the commercial farmland so they are all tightly fenced in. In fact these meadows themselves are grazed by cattle and sheep once the meadows are cut for hay in July so they need to be secure enough to keep things in and out :) .
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A move from the meadow in to the wood for this one. The Ramsons (Wild Garlic) are particularly prolific at the moment and are growing along the banks of the Leigh Brook.

The Knapp 2013 - Ramsons By The Brook 3 by Birm, on Flickr

Sony A99 with SAL 28-75
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

A pleasant scene Birma, the brook looks clean and healthy, there’s been concern here about streams near large sugarcane (and other) farms and runoff of various farming ingredients, fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides and so on getting into the system (and the Barrier Reef), I don’t know how much of a problem it is there.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg. Yes, run off has been a big problem in the past in the UK. Over the last 20-30 years there has been a big effort to stop this and the rivers, streams etc. have mostly recovered. This particular brook is pretty healthy and there are often Kingfishers on this stretch which I think is a good indication of water quality. We are even seeing otters returning to rivers in England which means that fish stocks are improving and this goes all the way up the food chain. I hope something can be done in your part of the world, in particular to help the Great Barrier Reef.

The little brook in my picture is very susceptible to flooding and and I wonder if there has been some additional erosion this year as I don't remember the tree roots being so exposed before. They do make attractive shapes, and a bit like the trees are dipping there toes in the water :) . Here is a another shot of the Leigh Brook.

The Knapp 2013 - Leigh Brook 2 by Birm, on Flickr

The Ramsons don't just grow by the brook, but are carpeted all over the wood. This is on the way home, and nearly back out of the wood, and in to the morning sunshine.

The Knapp 2013 - Ramson Path 1 by Birm, on Flickr

Both with A99 and SAL 28-75.