Sony A6000

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony A6000

Unread post by peterottaway »

I know the reaction every time Sony release a new model is the usual it's a heap of junk. But if the photos on SAR are to be believed I have some serious doubts about the cameras ergonomics.

The hand grip appears to be too small for comfort and not large enough to easily support largish lenses. Also they have carried over what I have found the most frustrating design flaw of the Nex 7 - the two micro control wheels which don't even appear to overhang the rear of the camera in anyway useful.

Personally I can't see this camera as a real Nex 6 / 7 replacement regardless of how good the sensor, EVF and hybrid focus is. It gives the impression of being an improved Nex 5 instead. There was rumours that the A6000 was basically an A7 minus the hump, to me that would have been a better solution.

Damn I'm getting grumpy.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Also they have carried over what I have found the most frustrating design flaw of the Nex 7 - the two micro control wheels which don't even appear to overhang the rear of the camera in anyway useful.
Not sure wher that came from. The SR5 image shown here indicates one control wheel on top as on the NEX-6.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-a600 ... ndon-time/
I am bemused by the additional spec information provided:
I finally got the A6000 EVF and AF info:
- 1,400K dot EVF
- 179 phase detection points (on sensor)
I note on the much maligned A58 that the EVF is listed in the specifications as 1,440,000 dots. So the EVF in this new wonder is no better than the A58?
My NEX-6 manual specifies the EVF as having Total number of dots: 2 359 296 dots. So much for an SR5 rumour. I cannot imagine that the A6000 will have an inferior EVF to the NEX-6. My money is on an A7 type EVF or BF will have another field day on Sony.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

peterottaway wrote: Personally I can't see this camera as a real Nex 6 / 7 replacement regardless of how good the sensor, EVF and hybrid focus is. It gives the impression of being an improved Nex 5 instead. There was rumours that the A6000 was basically an A7 minus the hump, to me that would have been a better solution.
This is not an NEX7 replacement, but an NEX6 replacement. Or the highest APS e-mount camera we'll see: by the summer the A7 will be under the 1500$ mark, hard to justify a NEX7 successor at 1200$

I think the grip on the NEX7 is better than the one on the NEX5 series. I don't think the new A6000 (or whatever name it will have) will get the A7(R) grip, since it won't have a front dial...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

It's up to Sony to decide where the "Nex" range goes but I think there would be room for a mainly GRP A7 shaped APS camera using the stuffing from the A6000. The A7 grip would add to the appeal of such a camera.

The A6000 is supposed to be a $700 to $800 camera, I think an A7 light at an introductory price of $999 probably coming down in time to $849 to $899 would sell more bodies than the FF A7 even at $1399 let alone $1499.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well it's out and pretty much as expected. Nothing to make me want to dump my Nex 6 yet :) . I think this just shows what a cracker the 6 was / is. Looking through the reviews one of the things that most impressed me was how small the A7 is, which was brought out as a body comparison by everyone.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Can't make any comments on how good the sensor will be, but filling the viewfinder with AF points would seem to be a good idea.

It will make it harder to fluff your shots completely as long as the cameras wake up delay is short as well.

When you read some of the sites it is marvelous how many owners seem to be under the impression that by simply buying the camera it comes with years of trade craft built in.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It's getting a mixed reaction in forums so far.
They have improved some stuff (the AF points) and as expected 24mp, NFC and bits like that

But the EVF is lower res.

It looks ok, maybe for newer users it might appeal a bit more. Nothing revolutionary here though.
I'm still puzzled why Sony thinks it's a good idea to have a widescreen LCD panel when it's really a poor choice unless you shoot video
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Sony are saying that the EVF has less resolution but better colour fidelity and accuracy - we shall see. Mid day in the middle of an Australian summer should soon put that to the test. But it is an interesting point, to date Sony has been going for more dots in the EVF and with refresh rates to attempt to overcome criticism that they are not up to OVF standard. It would seem that Sony wanted to put this camera out at the best possible price as well. So they appear to have tried to get a combination of price point and performance for a general audience rather than the enthusiast market.

I regard this as a deluxe Nex 5 camera rather than a higher end camera such as the original Nex 6 and 7. I think Barry this is a camera for those who don't see this as a stills camera or a video camera but simply as a camera.

We are dinosaurs Barry at least in this part of the market.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

To me, the real question is if this A6000 really provides any image quality improvement over the Nex7. If it does, I'm in.

If the AF is as good as claimed, then even more so. And then if the focusing system could confirm focus in MF with each and every lens attached, then even much more so I would be.

And then if the flash sys performance were brought back to normal, and if the built-in flash is really capable of remote flash control...

And I don't really care of lower res EVF if the EVF optics is better. And I don't care of no weather sealing as at that price point the body is totally expendable.

So we shall see...
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Well I'm just a simple A mount user and I have to admit that I am completely bamboozled by the NEX/E mount stuff. Umpteen adapters which do different things or with only limited functioning features. Just seems to be a disorganised, badly thought out strategy, if in fact there ever was one. I don't know how shop staff can keep up and maybe that is a reflection on the poor selection of Sony gear in shops (certainly in my area anyway).

All my lenses work on all my bodies with no issues, adapters or grief. I can't ever see me considering E mount even if the NEX bodies would be great travel cameras. If it wasn't for the excellent lenses I have, I'd be off to Canikon.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Mike, thats about where I am as well with Sony, i'm an A mount user, 2 bodies, 3 Sony lenses and 2 KM lenses and perfectly happy with the results, If I jumped ship, Pentax would be my first choice because of IBIS and plenty of third party and legacy glass to fit.

CC
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

I seriously consider this camera as replacement of my nex-5. Actually, it redress some of my issues with the nex-5
Faster AF (check)
EVF (check, could be better, but it's better than nothing)
Better hot shoe (check, however, I need a new small flash)
on board flash as wireless commander of older sony flashes (I'm not sure, but it would be nice)
better sensor (check, I assume)
better interface (nex-5 was OK for me)
moderate price (check, I will consider it after some price drop)
So overall, I think it's a very nice camera for people upgrading from older nex-3,5 models. (I wouldn't really consider it from nex6 or 7)

Cheers

Marcell
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

agorabasta wrote:To me, the real question is if this A6000 really provides any image quality improvement over the Nex7. If it does, I'm in.
When I spoke with the Sony ppl last month, they were specially proud of the Bionz X and told me that the processor is what will make the difference (comparing to the Nikon D800, that shares "same" sensor than the A7R) and just that will justify upgrading from the NEX7.
agorabasta wrote: And then if the flash sys performance were brought back to normal, and if the built-in flash is really capable of remote flash control...
They know they screwed up with the new HVL-F60M. They know users are asking for a small but powerful flash that match the A6000/A7(R) size, but I had the impression they are putting more energy now on bringing new E-mount lenses. BTW, the 24-70f4 is a little smaller than the 28-70 kit zoom (Adorama Rentals will have it on its catalogue, and I'm planning to give it a try before deciding if I buy it or not) and the 70-200 f4 looks good -I saw a non working mockup: compact and not that heavy.
agorabasta wrote:So we shall see...
Yep...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

mikeriach wrote:Well I'm just a simple A mount user and I have to admit that I am completely bamboozled by the NEX/E mount stuff. Umpteen adapters which do different things or with only limited functioning features. Just seems to be a disorganised, badly thought out strategy, if in fact there ever was one. I don't know how shop staff can keep up and maybe that is a reflection on the poor selection of Sony gear in shops (certainly in my area anyway).

All my lenses work on all my bodies with no issues, adapters or grief. I can't ever see me considering E mount even if the NEX bodies would be great travel cameras. If it wasn't for the excellent lenses I have, I'd be off to Canikon.

Mike

Kinda hit me that way too.
I suppose as we have A mount lenses it's not entirely a non starter if you buy an adaptor (which one though seems the APS-C ones might end up being phased out) Even the Sony LA-EA3 adds £160 which isn't too bad but it won't AF with screw drive lenses, and I can't say the the SLT one at £250 is great value either.

As a once off it might be fine, but then why not just buy an A mount body that doesn't need the adaptor?
I keep reading about this new amazing SLR beating AF on the A6000..but I can't help but think if Sony want to push A mount users to try this stuff, they need one adaptor (which is better priced) and no SLT mirror in it, just phase detect off the sensor for AF with ALL A mount lenses no exceptions.

People say it can't be done with screw drive lenses. But then I can't see why not. The Nikon and Pentax bodies can AF with contrast AF..just because Sony didn't let people do it on the A580 doesn't mean it can't be done.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

pakodominguez wrote:When I spoke with the Sony ppl last month, they were specially proud of the Bionz X and told me that the processor is what will make the difference (comparing to the Nikon D800, that shares "same" sensor than the A7R) and just that will justify upgrading from the NEX7.
Their real problem is not the processors, though good raw filtering is definitely welcome as that directly affects the lowest possible noise levels attainable at low ISO's (that's because the CMOS sensors have each sensel equipped with its own preamp and those preamps responses need equalisation).

The real problem is the sensor toppings that create internal reflections, colour casts and smearing. That's where the Sony designs lack badly. And exactly there I need to see real improvements.