What to do next?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

What to do next?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

My 2 Km5d's are getting on a bit (but still working)
Obviously things have moved on a bit, they're fine for some tasks but the improved sensor tech is relevant at times for some tasks (low light, improved DR etc), better AF on newer cameras.

A57 is, despite my hatred of EVF's quite a good camera (I like the images it produces even if I don't like the VF that much), bar the sensor bloom (could be an issue for night shots)

Question is, retiring the Km5d's ie a serious more up to date second body option?

Options are:
A77..never a fan of the 24mp sensor, and it wasn't going to swing it for £1100 odd, but they're much cheaper now (£600 ish) I might be able to live with the weaker aspects of the sensor at the reduced price..maybe that is
A65: Getting price cut more recently, GPS might be useful for scenic work, basically the same as the A57 layout wise
A57: Still possible to acquire one from ebay as a second body (new ones around still) prices are quite good, no surprises just a second familiar identical body
A580: They do turn up now and then, and decent well looked after ones. I'd get even better low light v the A57
A700: Getting on a bit too, but it has a few bits that I might like (decent built being one, AF assist etc) prices are quite good, ages since I've used one 12mp is enough in many cases, not sure about low light I suspect not up to the A57
A900/A850: Higher end of my budget but s/h prices are coming down nicely, probably not as good low light as the A57, but it does open up those FF lenses I have

Option 2 is..
Bail out of A mount and take my chances with something else.
I'm not going near Pentax or Nikon again (been there no thanks, despite some great ideas and designs I can't risk the AF lottery from days past)

Only 2 viable choices are Canon and Fuji

Thoughts or suggestions?
Deward
Acolyte

Re: What to do next?

Unread post by Deward »

These same thoughts have been in my mind lately. I hate to give up on Sony but, like you, I was never a fan of EVF's and it seems like that's all Sony is interested in at the moment. The emphasis also seems to be mainly on the E mount bodies and lenses with nothing new coming out for the A mount line. What are your thoughts on repair ability for the A mount line? With Sony coming out with replacement bodies every 12 months I wonder how long they will stock repair parts.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Even though Fuji seems to take good photos I wouldn’t be able to stand the lenses myself, if they were the last camera on earth I would just give up photography rather than deal with that. Wishy washy focus and zoom by wire…no thanks.

70D but only if you want to get rid of all your A-mount gear, otherwise grab one of those A77 bargains or an A57 if you can get one, I don’t like the 24MP sensor it has myself it generates ridiculously large files that are way over the top too big for general use but might be ok for weddings but I wouldn’t be too keen on the low light results, looking at the review at dpr that is.
If you need low light performance you need a FF cam just for that and a couple of lenses for it or one good zoom, 6D maybe, the A900’s and A850’s are getting too long in the tooth now and you wouldn’t know what you would end up with there, same probably with the A700, although you could jag one like mine for instance that has taken less than 2000 photos and still virtually new but I doubt you would be lucky enough to find many like that around, most people seem to take gazillions of shots these days, if you can get one with guaranteed low mileage then they are a nice camera, only nowhere near a 6D in low light ability of course.

I wouldn’t recommend an A7 just on general principal, besides you would have to get the $400 adaptor and end up with no IBIS and an A99 is too dear. The 6D doesn’t have IBIS either but at least I would be inclined to trust the brand, I wouldn’t trust Sony as far as I could toss em.
Well that’s it, expensive option is Canon (but good) less expensive option is as above somewhere, (second best).
Greg
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: Options are:
A700: Getting on a bit too, but it has a few bits that I might like (decent built being one, AF assist etc) prices are quite good, ages since I've used one 12mp is enough in many cases, not sure about low light I suspect not up to the A57
A900/A850: Higher end of my budget but s/h prices are coming down nicely, probably not as good low light as the A57, but it does open up those FF lenses I have

Option 2 is..
Bail out of A mount and take my chances with something else.
I'm not going near Pentax or Nikon again (been there no thanks, despite some great ideas and designs I can't risk the AF lottery from days past)

Only 2 viable choices are Canon and Fuji

Thoughts or suggestions?
Fuji? What Fuji? Mirrorless Fuji? The system is too expensive for what you spend in gear (but hey: bodies are OK, even with it's quirks, and Fujinon lenses are superb) Then, you need a lot of willingness for work (events, low light...) with Fuji cameras.

I sold the A99 and got an A700 for small events, that are the most I do: I deliver 6MP, no need of 24MP for that. And I paid 225$ for it. I keep the A900 because if good for everything and unique, and the last of its gender (OVF) and got the A7R that will replace the NEX7 and APS lenses, for non-events gigs and personal stuff.

Switching systems is expensive, the learning process not always straight forward (lots of true on the forums, it takes some time to sort good of bad information). Canon is probably a safe road. I prefer Nikon (I did work with Nikon before, I know what lenses to get, if I were switching systems).

Get an A850 if you have the lenses for it.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I say bite the bullet and get the 70D. Sure, you'll have to take a bit of a hit in selling off gear, and getting used to a new system, but you've then got OVF, all the lenses you'd ever conceivably want, great flash system, and a predictable evolution of what the next body will be like. You may lose IBIS but the improvement in high ISO in the last 6 years more than makes up for that, plus VR or whatever. Also, no more angst about what camera freakery Sony come up with next :) .

However, I don't think you'll do this. If you were going to get Canon you'd have done it years ago, and I think you (like many here) like taking the path less travelled ;) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

And who is a bad, bad boy then ? :lol:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I think the very latest Pentaxes [K5 series] are a viable alternative as many of the earlier faults have been ironed out, my gripe is their lenses which are not that good for a lot of money. Ricoh hiked the prices without improving performance, but you can always go third party.

There really is only one good alternative in my view and that's Canon for the reasons pointed out already. At my budget it would have to be a 600/650/700.
But don't forget the vast used Canon lens market. You could probably build a system without ever having to buy new. Ergonomically, a Canon is a joy to use with every thing where it should be.
In Sony's favour, their lenses are some of the best performers for the price of any DSLR system. I agree with Barry, EVF is not a perfect viewing system but works OK most of the time and my favourite camera is still the A57.

I use a Fuji X10, but that's the level I would stay at with Fuji, high end compact bridge.
Of course there is also the M/4/3 option.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

In your situation I would be inclined to purchase an A57 slightly used for less than £295 on ebay or where ever. You are reasonably happy with your current A57 (except EVF) and should one give out, switching camera will be effortless. Would provide time to access Sony intentions. The only switch that would make sense to me would be to Canon in your circumstances. Such a switch could be done at any time. I would never personnally consider Canon or indeed any other brand now, because my current Sony gear satisfies all my requirements. In any event Canon is out for me because of their 1.6 crop factor. Only consideration regarding A57 would be, can you get more for your Sony equipment if selling now?
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

alphaomega wrote:In your situation I would be inclined to purchase an A57 slightly used for less than £295 on ebay or where ever.
If only...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Alpha-Inte ... +alpha+a57
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Find a nice used 350.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald

A350 isn't my cup of tea being honest!

Ok I admit that Canon are a safe haven if I loved their stuff I'd have gone there years ago. I get on ok with some of their bodies, but even playing with a 5dMkII I found the sensor really not able to handle the pulling around in raw I expected, they def lag in sensors somewhat. System is good though has to be said you want it they got it!

Canon are a last chance saloon for me. Fuji well Greg I agree focus by wire sucks..on the other hand they do have some interesting things going on, I do like the images from Fuji I've seen.
Ebay is usually the place to head over to for bargains Amazon are ok for new (good returns no problems there at all)
I'll chew this over and maybe something will come up in a month or so, maybe a close out deal will push me over the edge, or a nice s/h body that turns up at the right time and price.

I didn't add the A99 as it's hugely over budget for me. I can't say I'm desperate to get hold of the A58 either
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Currently on Ebay UK - an A57 at £315 or make an offer and an auction currently at £240. Neither is mine, I like mine! :) :)
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
bfitzgerald

I've seen a few on ebay alright, and you can get one from the far east for not a lot too even with adding customs charges.
I suppose it comes down to they system, as I have quite a lot of A mount stuff it's hard to rationalise a change of system (again)

Focus by wire is a turn off for Fuji, but I can't help but like the images they can make. Some of their lenses are not badly priced..35mm f1.4 is very reasonable for a lens that speed. 56mm f1.2 isn't cheap, but at £900 it's not crazy insane either for such a fast lens (Nikon's 58mm f1.4 for £1600 is daft) The only danger for Fuji is if full frame prices gate crash their higher end products.

It is disappointing that Sony have not yet realised the potential of a full frame body at much more affordable levels, for A mount. I personally fear an E mount only future with adaptors, and currently I don't see products that will meet my own personal needs.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

bfitzgerald wrote:It is disappointing that Sony have not yet realised the potential of a full frame body at much more affordable levels, for A mount. I personally fear an E mount only future with adaptors, and currently I don't see products that will meet my own personal needs.
+1
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:It is disappointing that Sony have not yet realised the potential of a full frame body at much more affordable levels, for A mount. I personally fear an E mount only future with adaptors, and currently I don't see products that will meet my own personal needs.
+1
+2
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.