Exhibit your B&W shots

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Unread post by sury »

I second Andy and raise it to Absolutely stunning. Mark.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Wow, thanks sury. I'm humbled by the glowing comments on the shot.

Mark
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Beautiful shot Mark. I like how the dock just ends and the dark expanse of water begins. In a weird way it reminds me of the poem WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS by Shel Silverstein.

Anyways, here's my contribution.
Attachments
_DSC4628 Lightroom 1024.jpg
holding the sun
(339.13 KiB) Downloaded 2409 times
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

That's a nice shot Hefay. I've been doing some backlighted images lately and I love to see what others come up with similar concept. Adding sun into frame is done too rarely and I really like it. Tree branches has a good rim light which is contrasted against dark background. As I said nice shot, with good contrast.

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
the_hefay
Viceroy

Thanks Toni.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Excellent shot the_hefay. Perhaps one of the best from you....

Sury
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Richard- Very nice reportage set. I like the first one, with the bored looking woman and the pram against the fantasy background. The shot of the dish is incredible, a chilling Cold War reminder. I assume it is disused...

Mark- Great dock shot. The B/W makes it very dramatic.

Hefay- I always like good shots with the sun in them, and yours is very fine indeed... BTW.. Is your screen name a play on the Spanish work Jefe? Just curious..

Here are a couple of my recents..
ImageThe Blue Nile Club

ImageCapitol IR III

ImageCastolon IR resize by
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Thanks Sury and Juanito. Juanito those are some great pics. Is the second one an IR shot? Yes my screen name is a play on the Spanish word jefe. It is not an indication of me calling myself the boss or chief. My real name is Jeff and so my Dad Spanglicized it to Jefe and that became the nickname my family gave me. Why I spell it hefay is a longer story. :)
Juanito200
Viceroy

Thanks, and great story Jeff... I like the Anglicized spelling...
Your are correct that the second is an IR shot. The last one is as well. I've loved IR for years, but I recently had an NEX5-N that I got at a steep discount converted to IR. The NEX body is small, and easy to carry along with my other gear, but I sorely miss having a viewfinder in the bright Texas sun.
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
sury

Unread post by sury »

Nice shots John. I did not realize third one was IR too.
You are welcome, Jeff....Jefe...the_hefay. I can almost visualize
Jeff Dunham's character Peanuts saying those three words.

Sury
P.S. Jeff Dunham is an American ventriloquist not necessarily known for his political
correctness, in case some of you are wondering who is this bloke.
mvanrheenen

Fishing by markvanrheenen, on Flickr
Juanito200
Viceroy

Beautiful shot Mark.. Perfect timing with the crashing wave. Was this from your Madeiran holiday as well?

This is from the St. Louis Cemetery No 1 in New Orleans.
ImageLord of All He Surveys by JohnLeBlancII, on Flickr
sury

Unread post by sury »

Mark,
My first impression was that a crop would do wonders with the shot but as I looked at it again,
the negative space in the sky is adding to the scale of the location. Very nicely done.

John, was the cemetery undergoing repairs or fallen into disrepair? Just curious. Nice contrast.

Sury
Juanito200
Viceroy

Sury. To tell the truth, I don't know. This cemetery is on the edge of the French Quarter, and I don't know how much it may have been damaged during Hurricane Katrina... Having said that, there are many tombs that seem to receive regular care and maintenance, and some seem to be in a rather poor state. I can only suppose that my photo shows what is left of a tomb that has completely fallen apart, and somebody has come along and made something of it again.. Pure conjecture on my part really... The area surround this cemetery is being torn down and rebuilt, the apartment buildings surrounding it have been torn down, and I hope that something interesting is put in its place. This cemetery has tombs dating to the late 1700's. I've been here a couple of times before, I'll try to get a group together to show the diversity of tomb types, and various states of repair...

John
mvanrheenen

Thanks guys. The shot was made in Portugal, but on the mainland in 2010. I'm revisiting some old images. Much of these have never been properly processed. As I have some more free time for a couple of weeks, I'm looking at them now.

Nice shot John! The light brings out the statue really well, as does the darker stones in the foreground.

Mark