Rant mode: On! Can we please have...

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Rant mode: On! Can we please have...

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

All the photos you took on the day on a usb stick please

I tremble with fear when I hear this..this is how it usually goes.

A: No there are reasons for being selective with the images, facial expressions, technical reasons etc

Q: But I'd like to see all the photos

A: Fine we can meet up and I can show you the photos I have rejected

Meets client and then they decide that..
There are very good reasons for not using all the images, unless you want tongues sticking out or goofy looking faces. I've done this a few times and openly showed people a selected number of "reject shots"

What's wrong with people it's as if they feel you're holding back on them do you need to see 14 shots of the same thing or do you trust the person to give you the best shot out of a sequence. A typical shoot to CD final no. of images for me is something around 200 shots (sometimes a little more depends on the time) out of that if they ever bother to make an album (a lot don't) they have to pick about 50 of those. I'd shoot about 700 images for a wedding I have increased this number if you get someone who's a blinker or makes odd faces, you have to be selective not every single shot works I can't understand why people think you should give them all your photos, esp since we're now firmly into "budget" days for many wedding jobs.

Fine pay me £2000 and you can have the lot them, one potential client even asked for all the RAW shots. I of course refused and promptly lost interest in that job (ie I was no way going to do it)

Rant mode is now ...partly "off" :twisted:
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Re: Rant mode: On! Can we please have...

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

Barry,
If your daughter rejected your preferred photographer, but was willing for you to edit the photos her chosen photographer provided. Would you make any requests?
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
bfitzgerald

I don't edit other photographer's work as I can't have the same "idea" they have nor have I ever had any desire to edit another shooters raw files. The only way that's acceptable is if you work as a photo editing person and that's part of your "job". I edit my own shots, others could edit them but they won't really know how I like some types of images. esp my black and white.

I would not ask a photographer for raw files if I hired one at my wedding, I'd just make sure I picked one that I liked.
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

I understand.

Thanks,
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I'm not a professional photographer, but I am a consumer. I have no idea what you or others charge for shooting a wedding. I do know that whenever I fork out some money for something, I want to get my money's worth. Perhaps that's what some clients are thinking. If they don't see how unusable the rejects are then the mind begins to think, "What about the other half of the pictures I paid that photographer to take? I'm getting robbed here." I'm not saying they are justified, but I can see why it might happen. I think a lot of people don't understand the business side of it and how the price for the photographer is more than "here's the pictures", an it includes the professional judgment on what's a keeper and what's not among many other things.

I've taken pictures for my cousin's family on a fairly regular basis. I don't charge them, but they usually give me some cash or a hot meal or something like that. At first she always wanted "All the photos you took on the day on a usb stick please." Fine. But I would always pick a couple that were my favorites, polish them a little and crop them to 8x10 ahead of time. She always picked those shots. It wasn't long before she quit asking for all the photos, and now I just give her the "good ones" with the kids all smiling, eyes open, etc.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

here is one reason you never show ALL the photos you've take:
http://www.slrlounge.com/wedding-photog ... k-lawsuit/
This is the all-lawyer-dictatorship that you can find in the USA. You don't need to be scare about it. just write a proper contract. even if you are shooting your friend's wedding...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

pakodominguez wrote:here is one reason you never show ALL the photos you've take:
http://www.slrlounge.com/wedding-photog ... k-lawsuit/
This is the all-lawyer-dictatorship that you can find in the USA. You don't need to be scare about it. just write a proper contract. even if you are shooting your friend's wedding...

Well he screwed himself on that one no contract and then making an agreement to provide all the shots (and raw). Why anyone would hand over "the rejects" is beyond me that won't do you any favours at all. I don't care how good a shooter anyone is you get shots that you can't use there is no good reason for people to see those other than the shooter.

I can't see the update video it says private, I'm not a huge Fong fan but he can have a good rant himself at times
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I can't see the update either, but I wish I knew what it said.

I also wish I had been him. I'd be suing him for several million dollars, as well as having him disbarred! You have to write lawyerly letters in very lawyerly language, and this was a massive fail! Basically he just acted like a mobster and that won't sit well with the state Bar.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Okay, the synopsis of the outcome is at: http://weddingindustrylaw.com/wedding-p ... r-lawsuit/.

Basically, the lawyer dropped everything after the photographer for Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt's weddings was going to testify on Tang's behalf.

I gotta include the last lines of the article:
"One Final Point.

The styling of this case was Poon vs. Tang, which is the greatest case name in the history of the World. At least, since the 1890 case of Honey vs. Pot."

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:The styling of this case was Poon vs. Tang, which is the greatest case name in the history of the World. At least, since the 1890 case of Honey vs. Pot."
Oh my. :lol:
bfitzgerald

Seems like a big waste of time for everyone.
Reminds me of that "Judge Joe Brown" case with the Canon Rebel and kit lens making the rounds a few years back bit of a waste of everyone's time. If a bride is dumb enough to hire a cowboy then it's on their own back

In this case the photographer should have known better too even if they produced good shots.