A77II review finally turns up

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

A77II review finally turns up

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-al ... f=mainmenu

Looks reasonably positive I've only used one a few times and not done massive testing on it (pal bought one)
Seems the new AF modes are nothing to get worked up over if good old AF-C works better

Side note I see the K-3 II is on pre-order and the price is very low (for the same as the A77II now) has GPS "astro tracking" looks quite good bar the odd choice to take out the built in flash.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: A77II review finally turns up

Unread post by mikeriach »

I had a quick look at a mates one but didn't have time to try it out.
The focus sensor array looks quite impressive, covering a high proportion of the frame. Good for off centre subjects but I was a little worried if it would get distracted more with foreground objects. Time will tell.
One thing I did notice was that the EVF now shows the stabilisation live, which I rather like.

A good familiar feel and slow but steady evolution.

Lost my GPS which I want and gained WiFi/NFC which I don't need. My mate has it set to "Flight mode" to save the scarce battery power. I would like a second card slot as well.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

To save more power, turn off SteadyShot with Shutter.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

:) I'm just smiling as I see and read review on dpreview site. I have a77-II since Sony did the presentation a77II, next day. :) I use a77-II for the work, every day and of course for my pleasure. It's already more than one year. :) What can I say from my experience and comparing a77-II with other Sony and not only Sony cameras. Autofocus - very good, but again from everyday experience, not so big difference compared to a57. Than more I use both cameras, than more I can admit, I can life with a57 autofocus system. WB - way better than a57, noise level better than a57 on high ISO. The ergonomic - I'll say same, only ugly joystick on a77-II very annoying. Picture quality for sure better than a57, but not the best. I had A99, A7, A7II, Canon 6D, Canon 5D MKIII, Nikon D610 on my hands for short period of the time, just for comparing. What can I say, for better quality, I'll say about(may be) ~ 10% average we have to pay a double price on the bodies and lenses as well too. My biggest concern from the dpreview is the images for the comparison tool (new lab), they use some bad average lens for test a77-II with fuzzy right size, especially right lower corner. Dpreview at list can use same Zeiss lens as they use for a99 or other top prime lenses for other cameras.
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

mikeriach wrote:I had a quick look at a mates one but didn't have time to try it out.
The focus sensor array looks quite impressive, covering a high proportion of the frame. Good for off centre subjects but I was a little worried if it would get distracted more with foreground objects. Time will tell.
One thing I did notice was that the EVF now shows the stabilisation live, which I rather like.

A good familiar feel and slow but steady evolution.

Lost my GPS which I want and gained WiFi/NFC which I don't need. My mate has it set to "Flight mode" to save the scarce battery power. I would like a second card slot as well.

AF is good having had a hands on a few times, but I rarely use lots of AF points not for what I do the focus limiter is a great idea however something that really could be useful

I'd be a bit concerned about leaving the SS on with the view additional wear maybe they've beefed it up. Battery isn't so great I think that rear LCD is sucking more power. I'm on the fence with this one if I want another crop body I'm not really sure I need the A7II's extra bits, some are handy, GPS is useful to me too so is the AF assist
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

The IBIS is sucking some power as well and I would disable it unless you need it. As for IQ, I think my Canon 550D, which is pretty old now takes some beating for a cropped IQ. Having said that, its rumoured that the A37 has the NEX-5N sensor which apparently the 57 doesn't and I have found the IQ from my A37 is better. Both the 57 and 37 exhibit excellent IQ below ISO 800, the 37 slightly better but the Canon scores better at higher ISO as the dreaded Sony over zealous noise reduction is not there to the same degree.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

can't help but feel that if they had tested it a year ago it would have got a higher score ...
bfitzgerald

Probably would have done not sure what the DPR problem was did people leave and leave them short on staff?
Better late than never though!
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

Unread post by TheOldHobbit »

I have just taken delivery of my 77ii and man oh man am I confused. I know this is a step up from my old a450, but this thing has settings I have never heard of let alone understand. I really love how it feels and it has a really rugged feel to it. I am struggling to use it and understand it but I am determined to grow into it and look forward to learning as I go. Really like it.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

TheOldHobbit wrote:I have just taken delivery of my 77ii and man oh man am I confused. I know this is a step up from my old a450, but this thing has settings I have never heard of let alone understand. I really love how it feels and it has a really rugged feel to it. I am struggling to use it and understand it but I am determined to grow into it and look forward to learning as I go. Really like it.
:D enjoy it :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

I gather it is a small but noticeable step up from the A77 Mk1 so I can imagine going from an A450 will quite a leap. Enjoy it.

I think my current Alphas will be run into the ground as I'm not happy with the snail like pace of development of the A mount system.
Getting a tad frustrated.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

It seems Sony are putting more effort and development into E Mount and A mount seems to be taking a back seat these days, the A77 Mk 2 does get very good reviews, but for me I want an entry/mid range upgrade body such as a decent A57/8/? replacement The E mount cameras are really giving Canikon a run for their money and are getting rave reviews, but I just do not like holding them, the shape is all wrong for my old fashioned ideals. Small and petite is some times too small. If it wasn't for the older KM lenses I would have jumped ship to Canon or Pentax.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Can only but agree with you. For a nifty travel camera on the tourist trail you would certainly maximise the image quality captured with the E mount series. The BUT for me is I want a good chunky (but not overly big) body which sits comfortably in the hand especially when using long lenses for action shots. The A77 and A99 are fantastic in this respect even without vertical battery packs (I don't have).

I'm borrowing a friends Nikon D7000 and 80-400G for a play just to see what I make of it compared to the A77 and 70-400G. It will be interesting to see how each fares. Would like to see how SSS compares to VR as well.
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

Unread post by TheOldHobbit »

Still very much a steep learning curve with the camera, had to do a full reset as I somehow got it on a setting that I could not get rid of and didn't know how I did it?? I have also been looking at the smartphone wifi use and to be honest its either me (it usually is) or for some reason the camera does not focus well using this method as wireless control. I bought a cheap chinese wireless controller for my a450 and it worked just like the shutter button, half press operates focus, full press takes the shot, but not on the smartphone. Perhaps a gadget too far. I have to assume that a wireless controller would work better. On the bright side I am very pleased with how it feels and the quality of picture with my minolta f1.7 50mm prime and Sigma F2.8-4 HSM. They match the camera very well and no operating issues what so ever. Perhaps when I learn a bit more I will post a couple of examples :)
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

TheOldHobbit wrote:Still very much a steep learning curve with the camera, had to do a full reset as I somehow got it on a setting that I could not get rid of and didn't know how I did it?? I have also been looking at the smartphone wifi use and to be honest its either me (it usually is) or for some reason the camera does not focus well using this method as wireless control. I bought a cheap chinese wireless controller for my a450 and it worked just like the shutter button, half press operates focus, full press takes the shot, but not on the smartphone. Perhaps a gadget too far. I have to assume that a wireless controller would work better. On the bright side I am very pleased with how it feels and the quality of picture with my minolta f1.7 50mm prime and Sigma F2.8-4 HSM. They match the camera very well and no operating issues what so ever. Perhaps when I learn a bit more I will post a couple of examples :)
What kind of smartphone do you try? May be it's a phone, not the camera? My Nexus 4 work great with a77II , no delay, no problem at all.
Everything in the life unusual!