BRAND NEW A700 - ISSUES! EXAMPLES NOW UP!

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
OLSKOOL
Acolyte

BRAND NEW A700 - ISSUES! EXAMPLES NOW UP!

Unread post by OLSKOOL »

Hey Guys,

I have really appreciated the advice I have been given so far on the forum.

Just wanted to see what you thought of this.

I have already sent one A700 back after only two uses.
The problem?
The worst focus and the softest photos I have ever seen.
I was not impressed.

The manager of the camera store saw my pics and argued a little about it but then took some of his own wih the camera and noticed an issue.

One out of three pics were totally out of focus and every other pics is soft, soft, soft!

Did a shoot for a magazine and wasted a couple of hours with the result of below average pics.

The biggest problem is, some of the pics looked acceptable in the camera but once in photoshop or the image data converter they look shocking blown up 60-100%

Anybody else have issues like this?

The new body seems better but it still is very weak.

I have an A100 and that is doing better on all levels.

I shoot automotive stuff so my pics have to be sharp and my current pics are anything but.

I have tried numerous focus styles, settings, apertures, modes etc etc and nothing seems to really impress yet.

Any tips on settings you guys use or adjustments that can be made?
What is your preffered focus method?

Just so you know I use:
16-80 cz
70-200 g
10-20 sigma

(all exhibit the same flaws on the A700 but are fine on the A100)

I have a shoot in the morning and I am nervous about using the new body.
The A100 is definitely heading out with me!

Jordan.

EDIT FOR EXAMPLES SOON...

ALL (EXCEPT NEPHEW) WERE SHOT USING A TRIPOD AND A SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Last edited by OLSKOOL on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: BRAND NEW A700 - ISSUES!

Unread post by Javelin »

How about some samples?
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Tried to upgrade from Dynax 7D to Alpha 700 earlier this year but returned two samples for a refund due to inaccurate focusing. Gave up the plan, now I am still shooting my old Dynax 7D.

-- Olaf
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I made a manual adjustment using the set screws on my A700. It was a very fine adjustment that was needed - barely 1/12th to 1/6th of a turn - but it made a big difference to full aperture wide angle shots.

David
Javelin

Re: BRAND NEW A700 - ISSUES! EXAMPLES NOW UP!

Unread post by Javelin »

I was going to suggest Don's #8.. It looks just like what you get when you have SSS on while on a tripod. Some of the shots I can't see anything in focus which suggests camera shake, but like I say it looks like some tripod bird shots I ruined with SSS
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Holy doggie-doo! These look like MY pictures! How come nobody told me?!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
mastroalex
Acolyte

Unread post by mastroalex »

I have the same problem, I'll leave the camera to Sony assistance center on monday, luckily it's just 10 days old and still under warranty. I have this issue on 20mm, 50mm and 70-210mm and the problem is MUCH WORSE if I put a UV filter in front of the lens, so remove all filters before testing.
I suppose it's back/front focus in your case too, try this:
change settings in center focus, DMF mode and Hi speed drive
focus, hold the focus ring, press the shutter and slowly move the ring while taking a series of pictures, clockwise
then check the pictures, one of them should have the best focus, if camera has a focus problem it's not the first one.
repeat from the beginning and turn counterclockwise
I always get sharper pictures if I turn slightly clockwise, always the same amount and the difference is simply amazing.
Of course use a tripod if you have any or at least at high speed, also use more than one lens.
Also shoot in RAW, no JPEG and no Raw+jpeg if you check focus on LCD screen you would see jpeg.
I used the back of some books with tiny characters too see the issue or better, I use DVD cases on different planes, in this case the focus was on the right DVD, as you can see, the wrong one is in focus, then noone can say it's due to hand shaking :-)

ImageImage

Try a test like this:

http://focustestchart.com/chart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Minolta AF 50mm at 1,7:
ImageImage

Minolta AF 70-210 f4 at 70mm

ImageImage
Last edited by mastroalex on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I think I only had a few pictures like these, and I'm focusing perfectly. I think I narrowed it down to numbers 8 and 12, and possibly numbers 11 and 13, though I need to double check. I just get comfortable on some settings and forget to change them for other times. Also, my "A" selection on the top dial behaves very reliably as a custom setting, remembering every setting I change on it and recalling them...that causes me some trouble, is that normal?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

David, How did you do it?

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I made a manual adjustment using the set screws on my A700. It was a very fine adjustment that was needed - barely 1/12th to 1/6th of a turn - but it made a big difference to full aperture wide angle shots.
I read some article about doing it, but the bottom plate seems strongly in place, so i was afraid of breaking something if i try too hard to remove it.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi Yagil,
I've never attempted the adjustment, both of my cameras seem ok, but from memory I thought that all you do is carefully peel the sticker off the bottom (using something sharp like a trimming knife too get it started).
Greg
OLSKOOL
Acolyte

Unread post by OLSKOOL »

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't been back earlier.
I have been busy over the weekend.

I will reply 'properly' here soon :)

In the mean time:

Thank you to Sonolta for your suggestions mate.
gave a few a shot.

I will have a look into what Mastroalex has suggested.

A quick update:
Second body does it but not as bad.
My confidence in the body is limiited.

Jordan.
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

David - If you read this, a question please.

I just calibrated the focus on my A700, testing it with a Minolta 85/1.4 and 50/1.4 (My brother just bought the former in mint condition. What a lens!). Anyway, It seems that I suffer from ever-so-slightly misalignment of the sensor, towards the right. While it has almost no effect in focal lengths smaller than 1.4, I'd like to correct it anyway. But I'm not sure which of the 3 screws does what, and I don't want to start messing up too badly. Could you please answer? Thanks!
Yagil
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The three screws under the camera move the AF sensor, not the imaging sensor. If you have an imaging sensor alignment problem, it can only be dealt with by Sony service (there are actually some screws in the back of the camera accessed after major disassembly - this is NOT in the same class as fine tuning the three AF module setting screws).

The three screws in the base adjust position, pitch and yaw. All this really means is that one is place in the corner of the AF module and this is the corner of the L formed by the screws. This adjusts the absolute position. The other two are placed in two other corners of an imaginary rectangle. One will tilt the AF module on one axis (pitch, up and down relative to the lens) and the other on its other axis (yaw, across the frame). They will affect the position of the centre focus point if you don't turn them exacly the same amount as the corner-L screw. If you turn them the same, the whole module stays parallel and just moves to adjust all focus points equally. If you adjust the pitch and yaw, the relative focus of wide area AF sensors will be changed.

David
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

Thanks! Another Question.

How do I know if I moved the Pitch and Yaw screws too much? (I tried to move them all the same amount. so I guess it is a theoretical question. I'll ask any way, just to be sure).
I mean, if I move the 'main' screw too much, the pic would be out of focus, plain and simple. but how could I know if I'll accidentally move the other screws a bit too much?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

You can't tell unless you check every focus point using a flat target. You must move them all equally, as accurately as you possibly can. If you are in doubt, attach a ruler to the bent arm of your hex tool, or use the short arm to go into the camera and the long arm outside - that way it is easier to measure the rotation. Use a protractor or a caliper to limit the rotation, and only adjust in steps of 1/12th or 1/8th of a turn.

David