Olympus is out...

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Olympus is out...

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:14 am

Lot of clicks on that! Not had a body motor fail yet
Why not wait for things to calm down and used prices on bodies to drop? Pre covid stuff was really low in price
The A77ii new price is way too high IMO for the camera, it's still good but it's overpriced big time for a 2014 model. In the old days (pre 2010) I used to see heavy discounts months after a model was released - 12 months later the discounts were massive and they used to bundle flashes and deals with lenses, those days are surely gone!

That's the reason I didn't get one new, it went down to about £675 in 2016/17 and then it went up to £950 almost the same price it was released at. If camera makers wanted to know why their sales are so bad, that's the reason. I'd sit it out and pick one up used for way less, dig around find a lightly used one when prices have settled. Going forward a few years used prices on A Mount bodies should be very good. That's my plan anyway the bodies are good enough now and in 10 years time output wise

ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread postby ValeryD » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:57 am

It's a good idea to wait for the discounts on the A77-II camera, but now in Canada it is very difficult to find this camera in stock, and I need to work today and this year. :) Next year I will be a retired person and I will not work as now. Naturally, I will never finish photography, but there is no need to keep so many cameras. So I'm not in a hurry to choose what to buy. I have posted a few phone shots before, and my phone is far from the best. I'm looking at something like this: https://www.dxomark.com/xiaomi-mi-10-ultra-camera-review/
Everything in the life unusual!

bfitzgerald

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:49 pm

I don't know what you're shooting? Work or for fun
Cost of high end phone sim free v cost of replacement camera. I used the A57 for a back up for long enough does the job
I used a Mi Note 8T a few weeks back, and I thought the camera was way better than I would expect for the price (I mean a lot better), the UWA was also decent. If I were out traveling about it would be quite respectable, so I'm sure the higher end ones are even stronger. Depends if you desire a new phone I could use one to replace my Lumia 950 which I can't even use for most apps ;-D

Only downer for Xiaomi is I don't really like "big" phones so if I found something a bit less bulky I'd give it a shot, maybe a pixel 4a would be ideal. A lot of their phones are great value and good performance, just this "big screen" thing isn't to my taste

ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread postby ValeryD » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:47 pm

For today I working as the photoreporter. Beside that I do some commertinal work as advertisind, wedding and so on.
Agree with you about big cell phone. My Xiaomi Mi A2 not so big and does have dual camera with 20mp. So far works very good. Like example from last year trip to Holland and Russia
Moscow https://photos.app.goo.gl/UK11hwyEoyBwKUfH7
St. Petersburg - Kronshtadt 2019: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DJHLE17QCKqZotWd9
Or some pictures in this "Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!"
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4195&start=930
For traveling this phone works great, but I'm looking for cell phone with zoom camera on it, like Xiaomi Mi note 10, Samsung Galaxy S20.
I been almost ready push the botton Buy on Xiaomi Mi Note 10, but a size of the phone stoped me to do that. :)
Everything in the life unusual!

bfitzgerald

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:20 pm

They seem to put the decent normal and UWA lenses on the lower to mid range, and then save the tele lens for the higher priced phones. I can understand that. Saw some quite good shots from a P30 pro 10x was good even 20x usable. Thing is the cost new of a phone or similar is more than I'd pay for a phone myself

I sold my A57 yesterday, used it a lot as a second and even main camera at one time. I just didn't need 4 bodies and the A77ii replaced it. So A77/A77ii/A99 are the bodies I use now. If one went down I'd just replace it at some point. A99ii looks great, too pricey for me new or used. So if you've the A99ii I'd just use the A57. I did like the smaller size and 16mp is probably good enough for most tasks. In my own testing I found 16 to 24mp is pretty small. Perhaps I'm a minority though some will drop the money on a high end phone, perhaps if you use it enough and it does what you want. I completely understand someone who does that v buying into an entire system, cost/weight/bulk

Perhaps over time they'll put the zoom into somewhat lower priced phones. I've usually gone to cameras first, bulk and all as I have the stuff already, and I enjoy using them v a phone where I feel somewhat detached from the shooting experience.

bakubo

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:51 am

bfitzgerald wrote:Anyone who has stayed with A Mount is probably better off sticking with it and picking up used gear. Someone here got an A7iii and adapter, it's not ideal however something is better than nothing. I wouldn't consider that model unless the price dropped significantly, or a better adapter came out, usable but not great - hence the criticism of Sony on the LEA4, it's hardly appealing for A Mount shooters

Saw this today:

Sony announces new LA-EA5 A-mount to E-mount lens adapter with built-in screw drive support

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5851213370/sony-releases-new-a-mount-to-e-mount-lens-adapter-with-built-in-screw-drive-support

bfitzgerald

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:21 am

Yeah I made a post on that yesterday just in case anyone is searching.
It's good news but..
Only two bodies at the moment support it for screw drive AF A6600 and A7RIV. If more turn up we shall see bit limited with 2 bodies perhaps more updates will add more recent ones. It has potential but we have to wait and see. Those are the 2 least likely bodies I'd consider buying A6600 is too close in price to the A7III to justify (unless prices tank), and the A7R IV is just to expensive and the pixel density and lack of S/M raw are show stoppers - just not a model I'd be interested in at all

Return to “Alpha A-mount System”