SAL-50M28 Rattles

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

SAL-50M28 Rattles

Unread post by SLUFDRIVER »

I bought a Sony 50 f2.8 macro back around the end of May and for some reason, it rattles. When focusing close up, the lens barrel actually moves about within the outer shell. This oddly enough doesn't seem to interfere with the functioning of the lens. I sent it back to Sony's Laredo, TX facility for service. After a few days, they called me to say that they couldn't find anything wrong with the lens, and that all functions were within factory spec. I told them that it was working fine but rattled. After a short silence, the technician said again that it was fine and would be shipped back to me. I got it back today, and sure enough, it still works; and still rattles. Now what? Any one have any ideas? :shock:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: SAL-50M28 Rattles

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It's the aperture coupling which is rattling, almost certainly. Don't worry. Some slack is found in the focusing, but not that much. Just checked my 20+ year old Minolta and it rattles, sure, but the play is much less than say an 18-70mm.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

No rattling in mine. Did you buy it new?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Yes sir I did. On or about the 29th of May this year. Truth be told, it's more annoying and embarassing than anything. It seems to work fine, but... It may end up on Ebay. Of course who's looking to buy a lens that rattles?
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Well, Sony has returned my lens saying that no fault was found. They also threw away all the original packaging I sent it to them in; claim to have recycled it. It still rattles, and at minimum focus, the lens barrel is still loose. I called them on it, and they insist that it is OK for the barrel to have up to 2mm (!) of latteral movement. I went to a Sony Style store and compared it to the display lens. The display lens was much less wobbly ie, hardly felt. They have agreed to 'have another look at it' but no promises. :roll:
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Well, got the lens back from its second sojourn to TX repair center. They say that they disassembled the lens and still found no fault. Funny thing is, now the barrel is tight and the rattle is gone. Most obviously was my imagination :wink:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

SLUFDRIVER wrote:Well, got the lens back from its second sojourn to TX repair center. They say that they disassembled the lens and still found no fault. Funny thing is, now the barrel is tight and the rattle is gone. Most obviously was my imagination :wink:
They have found the rattlesnake in it and set it free in the nature :lol:
Congratulations. I say it's a must have lens. I love it very much. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr