Sony a950 ???????

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
malcy
Initiate

Sony a950 ???????

Unread post by malcy »

I'm not normally one for rumours, but saw this and thought it looked good
Attachments
alpha_sola_1.jpg
alpha_sola_1.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
alpha_sola_3.jpg
alpha_sola_3.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
roysmith
Heirophant

Re: Sony a950 ???????

Unread post by roysmith »

That's just a fantasy 3d model made by some guy from Spain.
The original site is http://www.tecnofotografia.com/2010/05/ ... nomia.html
There's not even a rumor, or at least it shouldn't be :)
malcy
Initiate

Unread post by malcy »

Well! by the looks of it maybe Sony design should give this guy a job. Now I know there will always a great deal of speculation on new models but maybe it gives us all a chance to tell Sony what we would like or expect in the future and who knows...... maybe Sony will listen, we are after all, the end users.
roysmith
Heirophant

I really hope so! So far it seems Sony will only listen to regular people (the masses) and not photographers. Every new camera since the A850 is small, light, has very few buttons and options. I look forward to the replacement of the A700 later this year, let's hope they release a better camera and not a stripped down version.
malcy
Initiate

Unread post by malcy »

I couln't agree with you more. I would have thought by now with the resourses that Sony have, that we would be entering dream mode designs, i.e. top notch pro spec,. innovation etc. you know, that kind of stuff and i just can't fathom out their methodology, but one idea i have is that they flood the market with beginner, intermediate etc, and then they have a willing audience for future high spec models. I don't suppose it works this way, but you never know.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

roysmith wrote:That's just a fantasy 3d model made by some guy from Spain.
It s funy, the French expression for "dreaming of something impossble" is bâtir des châteaux en Espagne = "to build castles in Spain"
so: a guy in Spain built this fancy mockup, ha!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

That's quite ugly. I don't like the design. :(
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
roysmith
Heirophant

The design looks ok to me. Maybe a bit too modern but ok. But I definitely don't like the placement of the buttons.
Anyway, it looks much better than the new NEX :)
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Isn't the main LCD already squished flat against the sensor assembly anyway? So what would pulling the top of the LCD out to the viewfinder level do to help ergonomics? Also, the tilted top-plate LCD isn't a bad idea, but it's ergonomic benefits are undone by the corresponding rotation of the grip.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
malcy
Initiate

Unread post by malcy »

Actually, I was wondering do Sony ever consult sites like this. It is after all fairly International and I'm sure they could gleam a lot of preferences from some of the experts associated with it. Oh! by the way, there are over 75 castles in Spain :D [we can but hope]
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

No doubt the images of a "new" Sony A950 were fakes, but here is an interesting bit with an update on Sonyalpharumors.com
Sony UK do mark the Sony A850 as a “PREVIOUS MODEL”. I checked oder sonystyle stores and couldn’t find similar results. Don’t know if that is just a BIG mistake. We from SonyAlphaRumors didn’t get any rumor about a Photokina FF introduction. But we really don’t know everything from Sony!

UPDATE: J. from UK phoned Sony: “They told me that both models are discontinued (previous model). They have NO A850s in their warehouse and 2 A900s left in the UK. So does this mean that Sony really are withdrawing from the FF frame market or does it mean that they are going to reveal something unexpected between now and Photokina?”
If true there must be a new FF model "en route". Why would Sony continue to release FF lenses if they do not intend to keep at least one FF DSLR current? There was some rumour about a 30 or 32Mp new sensor for FF. Maybe this sensor is so advanced that it is ready for production and may be the final FF sensor product. I can imagine that if Sony gets such a sensor "right" it will last a long time in production. Imagine a FF DSLR that would also provide 15Mp with APS-C lenses?
jbtaylor

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Does the removal of the HVL 20 flash from the line up affect anyone's expectations for the future of Sony FF cameras?
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Not when Sony is increasing capacity to manufacture large sensors! Sony must have a plan to sell them somewhere!

Dusty
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

jbtaylor wrote:Does the removal of the HVL 20 flash from the line up affect anyone's expectations for the future of Sony FF cameras?
If the HVL-F20 was discontinued, I'd have to believe that Sony has something to replace it; either a built-in pop-up flash in the FF line, an accessory dedicated flash controller, or simply a replacement "HVL-F2X" in a new gimmicky form factor. It is also possible that a replacement might come for the whole lower end, including f20 and f42 units--perhaps with the funky swinging action like the f58. What prompts you to suggest that the f20 gun is going away?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The challenge for Sony is to make a small compact flashgun that is more than a "quick fix" for FF users who want wireless on the cheap.
In this respect I think the HVL-20 was not very good, no real reason to look at it for non FF users.

Onto the design above, it's flawed and horrible looking..looks like a Casio calculator watch meets an iffy unemployed designer..well done though have to say lol ;-)