NEX Firmware v3 released today

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

NEX Firmware v3 released today

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/10/1 ... -released/

The download link is European - if anyone locates a worldwide or US body version link, please post it here, and I will add it to the front page article.

They have made a Mac version of the installer. Proves that they do indeed listen to what everyone says!

Note: at the time of posting 10.30am the upgrade is not actually showing on their website.

David
WyldRage
Acolyte

Re: NEX Firmware v3 released today

Unread post by WyldRage »

Got it from the link in sonyalpharumors. It's from the japanese site, but it works just as well (I remember that v2 was also downloaded from a link in Japan).

Now, I'm barely qualifying as a beginner, but I must say that I absolutely love the soft keys programming! I have them set like this (translating from French, might not be exact):

B: Metering mode.
C: ISO
White Balance
Autofocus Area
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

up on the Japanese website.
NEX: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www ... re_01.html

LA-EA1: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www ... index.html

It works. AF with Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 is faster than AF with the SAM 85 f2.8 -but AF with this lens is slow on the A850 too, I recall the SAM 28-75 f2.8 AFing faster and silent, but that is definitely no a budget lens as the SAM 85f2.8

Enjoy
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

What about 3rd party lenses? Would be interested to know if the Tamron 60/2 SAM works with AF.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I do not have the Tamron here but can confirm:
30mm f/2.8 SAM macro - scary slow and noisy, works
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SSM G - perfectly fast and silent, within parameters of focus method
70-200mm f/2.8 Sigma HSM II - ditto, works well
70-300mm f/4-5.6 Sigma OS - OS works, focus works, similar to SAM 30mm it's noisy and slow
18-55mm SAM - similar to 30mm

In-lens motors like SAM work, but they are clunky. SSM works surprisingly smoothly. All take some time to settle into focus; slower than the Pentax K-5, but a similar search and refine focus cycle.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Sigma 18-250 OS HSM doesn't lock focus. Seems like the lens focusing motor overreacts to the cam/adapter control signal and hence the focusing routine can't converge. Then if Sony made the focusing control less steep, that would make focusing slower for other lenses that do focus normally.
So it seems to be the Sigma's fault. But then again, if the Sigma's control weren't that steep, it would focus slower on 'normal' DSLRs...

Would be interesting to see if that Sigma can AF with other cams in CDAF mode.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The 18-250mm just moves too fast and doesn't repeat the fine tuning cycle. Pity, because the OS works and the focus sound is very smooth - also when focused on the sensor, the lens quality is very apparent.

David
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I have just finished mine. 24-70CZ works fine. The bulk of the lens makes me think otherwise. What if there are more primes with SSM lenses? Apparently all my EF mount lenses have these motors.
douglasf13
Heirophant

Unread post by douglasf13 »

Mark K wrote:I have just finished mine. 24-70CZ works fine. The bulk of the lens makes me think otherwise. What if there are more primes with SSM lenses? Apparently all my EF mount lenses have these motors.
Many EF lenses have micro motors akin to SAM.
Rurouni76
Acolyte

Unread post by Rurouni76 »

The new firmware is pretty good, now if only we could feedback to Sony to add another custom item to button b or c, to enable that button to be an AE-Lock. The current workaround of using 'flexible spot AF' with spot metering is a bit clunky in real-life use.

That an allowing to set shutter speed in Video mode would make the NEX the perfect small cam for me and encourage me to invest more in the NEX/Alpha range.